Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 7, 2008, 2:15 PM   #11

GrahamM wrote:
Quote:
That looks prett good. I was hoping to have attended the local college this summer and take some classes to learn how to use some the software packages available for photo editing, but I'll have to waiy til fall. In some pics they look grainy or perhaps I should say blochy. Am I using the wrong term?

I also noticed the dust thing, I'm hoping it was just a rain drop, but I will check it out later today.
Hi Graham,

Glad you like. I'll take another look at your pics tomorrow I just don't have time right now, will be going off line. The more I look at the first pic it could be raindrops I'm seeing, won't do any harm to give the sensor a blow though. Cheers ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2008, 2:35 PM   #12
TDN

Interesting stuff to experiment with.

maybe this will help you along aswell: http://www.cimms.ou.edu/~doswell/ltgph.html

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2008, 2:47 PM   #13

Thanks for the link Tom. I had so much fun trying to get the pics that I can hardly wait for the next storm. :G
GrahamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2008, 9:49 PM   #14

I've never tried lightning shots so I can't give you any suggestions (we have few electrical storms - the last one was a couple of years ago during the day, the rain and hail was so hard there was no way one could get a shot). That definitely looks like dust to me - a couple of puffs of a hand blower should take care of it.. I like the ones you posted, especially the last two. I like the light with the lighning in the background. Don't ask me why, I just do.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 3:54 AM   #15

GrahamM wrote:
Quote:
That looks prett good. I was hoping to have attended the local college this summer and take some classes to learn how to use some the software packages available for photo editing, but I'll have to waiy til fall. In some pics they look grainy or perhaps I should say blochy. Am I using the wrong term?

I also noticed the dust thing, I'm hoping it was just a rain drop, but I will check it out later today.
Hi Graham,

I'm still not seeing any grain or noise to bother about, nor much else wrong, one odd thing I noted ... I tried to view the EXIF with Opanda IEXIF, but there's no ISO,exposure or aperture settings to be seen. I wonder if that's a result of using Picasa, I'm not familiar with Picasa, anyone else find that ?. Just thought the ISO settingwould give a clue as to whether to expect noise or not. ... Jack
Old Jun 8, 2008, 8:09 AM   #16

I loaded the first pic into lightroom and got the following info.

Exposure - 30.0 sec at f/13
Focal length - 45mm
ISO speed - ISO 200

Does that help?
GrahamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 10:01 AM   #17

GrahamM wrote:
Quote:
I loaded the first pic into lightroom and got the following info.

Exposure - 30.0 sec at f/13
Focal length - 45mm
ISO speed - ISO 200

Does that help?
I wouldn't expect to see noise at ISO 200 from a K100D, your worst 2 appear to be 3896 3897 in that order, and I can see improvement when I apply noise filtering on those. I've also looked at your file sizes, and see that they're compressed to below 100 K/bytes, so there's a lot of .jpg compression applied. I think we're seeing .jpg artifacts, that would account I thinkfor what you called blockiness . This board allows files of up to 250 K/bytes I think they would look better nearer that figure. Hope this helps