Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 7, 2008, 10:49 PM   #1

never did quite understand the principle of turning off the sr when camera is mounted to a tripod
sr is suppose to remove any shaking......
when you press the shutter with your finger they will be some kind of movement.....
legs of a tripod will be enduring some kind of vibration either from the floor, part of your body touching it , wind, etc........
if you hold your breath, stand sturdy do every thing right when you are taking a picture (you are at that point in time in life of replacing a tripod manually , cause you are as steady as a rock ), does the sr feature kicks in and ruin your shot ???
when is SR really useful

Dave
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2008, 1:07 AM   #2

SR is really useful hand-held and in low-light situations. SR is not useful in action shots, since action shots require faster shutter speeds anyway. I have the K100D and don't use SR at all. I have the 18mm to 200mm VR for Nikon and don't use it either.

I do however, use it on my Panasonic FZ's.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 4:57 PM   #3

I use SR all the time, except when I've got the camera sitting on a solid object. When I had the K10, I forgot about the SR and took some tripod mounted shots without any problems, but the K20's SR went nuts when I put the camera on a wall to take a picture and it was really blurry. Don't ask me why it made a difference compared to those times when I'm rock steady, but it does. It didn't do that when I had the camera mounted on a monopod - I haven't tried to shoot the K20 with a tripod yet.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 6:09 PM   #4

Hi Dave,

I've had a similar experience with Harriet. I've had 4 IS cameras (2 Panny FZs, K10, and K20). I've never turned the stabilization off for the first three for tripod use, and never had a problem. I'd always thought it a myth, and just disregarded it. . . until this year with the K20.

I've been using a tripod a lot more with the long glass, and on one shoot, I noticed that all the shots were blurry -- enough that I could easily see it on the LCD. I noted that AS was On, so I turned it off midway during the shoot. All the shots after were fine.

I am using a new CF tripod which is MUCH more stable than my old one, so that might be a difference, but I'm more inclined to think that the AS in the K20 is the cause. I've noticed that available light handheld shots are almost too easy with the K20 (and no, I'm not complain about "too easy" :-) ), and it's not just because I'm using higher ISO -- it's just an impression, I can't really back it up with any evidence. . . but I shoot some pretty low light snaps with a lot more confidence since getting the K20.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 9:09 PM   #5

dafiryde wrote:
Quote:
never did quite understand the principle of turning off the sr when camera is mounted to a tripod
sr is suppose to remove any shaking......
when you press the shutter with your finger they will be some kind of movement.....
legs of a tripod will be enduring some kind of vibration either from the floor, part of your body touching it , wind, etc........

Dave
Dave

My input is that it helps even when using a tripod. You have answered the question. The only time that I turn off the SR is when I do panning shots. When panning, the SR sensing big movement on my part will overcompensate.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2008, 11:16 AM   #6

Interesting...

If I don't turn it off (K10D) on the tripod, Ilose sharpness.

When Igo toan air show, I leave it on and get pretty good results. I did try it at one show with it on for 10 pics and off for 10 pics of the same performer and saw no real difference.

This seems to be one of those "whatever works for you" situations but Iintend toplay with this some more on the panning shots.
sgarthee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2008, 9:51 PM   #7

i really started this topic to get different views on the last part of my topic

if you hold your breath, stand sturdy do every thing right when you are taking a picture (you are at that point in time in life of replacing a tripod manually , cause you are as steady as a rock ), does the sr feature kicks in and ruin your shot ???

Dave
Old Jun 10, 2008, 7:30 PM   #8

dafiryde wrote:
Quote:
i really started this topic to get different views on the last part of my topic

Hi Dave,

I've become pretty adept at handholding, but after getting a truly good tripod, and concentrating on getting a high degree of very small detail, I can confidently say that there's no way to hold a camera nearly as steadily without one. Of course, fast shutter speeds can cut the difference, but a tripod will even help at short FLs with high shutter speed when it comes to fine detail.

That being said, I doubt that SR will consistently negatively effect any handheld shots (except maybe panning shots), but I will also say that in my experience, SR works better when you hold the camera more casually than if you really concentrate on being "rock steady". I think that this is why most reviewers find any IS system less effective than the mfgs advertise. The reviewers are all experienced photographers and probably have better than average handholding skills and technique, and thus gain less advantage from IS technology than the average DSLR owner (this last is just a theory).

Holding as steady as possible does have a definite advantage when it comes to AF accuracy though, as a moving AF point allows for more errors in this regard, so I'm not saying that developing good techinque is not necessary. I just back off and relax a bit before I actually take the shot.

I've never really quantified this -- if there is any real way to do that - but it's a definite impression from using my SR equipped Pentax bodies.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2008, 10:10 PM   #9

Interesting that Scott should mention about relaxing just a bit. I've often found that when I really concentrate on holding absolutely still, I tense up and that introduces more camera shake. Since I've had the K20 I've found myself relaxing more as I shoot (and thinking about relaxing instead of not moving) and it seems to be helping. Or the K20's SR is more accurate. Or both. I agree that there's no way I can be as steady as a brick wall or a good tripod and the SR seems to be tuned into that.

One of the things that I thought might have either been my own shakiness or the SR working too much (inconsistent softness with some pictures that shouldn't have been soft) were with the K10, and I think it had to do with the AF more than anything else. I haven't had any of the same problems since I switched to the K20/K100 combination.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2008, 10:50 PM   #10

thanks again for the input, i feel a lot better knowing that sr cannot affect hand held

i was never a tripod carring around person, but was looking at the bogen manfrotto monopod with the pull out legs, is this any good

thought about getting a tripod but its very hard to decide on one thru the internet, please help, i am looking for one that is strong, reliable , sturdy , light. and most of all, a very short collapasable length

Dave