Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 8, 2008, 8:31 PM   #1

Hello all! Sorry that I haven't been frequenting the forum much lately. All is well just have been very busy.

An old friend of mine just contacted me, wondering about a negative scanner for her mother-in-law. I told her that I would ask the wise members of this forum for any info that they would be willing to share.

Any suggestions, praises or criticisms???

Thanks as always!
Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2008, 8:54 PM   #2

wadue wrote:
Quote:
Hello all! Sorry that I haven't been frequenting the forum much lately. All is well just have been very busy.

An old friend of mine just contacted me, wondering about a negative scanner for her mother-in-law. I told her that I would ask the wise members of this forum for any info that they would be willing to share.

Thanks as always!
RonĀ*
A lot of people want to scan the negative for record (into DVD of course). A decent Nikon scanner can be bought in ebay at around $600. But scanning small quan. is not worth it. If it is just scanning around 10 rolls of films, it is better off to bring them over to some camera shop to do that . As usual ask for volume discount.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 11:09 PM   #3

I have an older Epson flatbed scanner that came with a transparency adaptor (essentially a light source that replaces the top). The software that comes with it reverses the colors if you want, so the negative becomes a positive (or slides become negatives). I haven't used it in a long time, but that might be an option if they have lots of negatives, slides too. As I recall, it wasn't that expensive - like under $200 - and does a reasonable job of scanning.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2008, 5:12 PM   #4

There is a new cheap film scanner available: the Reflecta XScan. Here in Italy it's around 100/120 Euros. The tests showedgood results. It produces 5 MPixel files that are enough for many applications. It is fast (it does not really "scan" the slide/negative but it takes a sort of macro picture of them), it is powered through the USB port, it does not take too much space on the desktop.
dam59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2008, 6:17 PM   #5

Nice tohear fromyou, Ron. A number of members have been scarce lately - I figured it was the season.

A meaningful recommendationwould depend on the type and size of negatives, and the type of photographic and computerequipment (if any) she might have. 35mm or larger? Color or B/W? DSLR, P&S? PC or Mac?
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2008, 10:12 PM   #6

wadue wrote:
Quote:

Thanks as always!
RonĀ*
Try this site in the SF www.scancafe.com.
Their rate at 19 cents per image for neg is not bad at all. But I have no clue about their quality though

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2008, 3:31 PM   #7

Thanks to all who have offered suggestions thus far! I just an email back from my friend & apparently we're talking about her m-i-l's family album of 70+ years, 55 years of marriage, 7 children & 17 grandchildren! So it's LOTS of 35mm & slides, color & B&W! Of which, she is not comfortable with sending off to a service to reproduce, which I really can't blame her...but a great idea though, Daniel. I had not heard of scancafe.com before your post. Thanks!

I did check the scanner area in the Misc. Forums. It seems asa lot of the folks there are content with Epson's V500 series &V700 series. Has anyone here had any experience with one or the other??? I'm notcertain if my friend is PC or MACbutI'm fairly sure they are PC.Sorry Penolta, I didn't think of asking her earlier. I'm sure that she will be the one that ends up doing the scanning for MIL as a family project for the summer, as she is a teacher & has the summer off but with 5 kids at home!

Thanks again,

Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2008, 5:14 PM   #8

You didn't mention prints, but with that kind of time frame and an album, there must be a lot of them, including older ones passed down in the family. I have done lots of thesefor my wife's genealogy projectsby rephotographing them on B&W film and later digital with 50 and 100mm macros; slides I have done by rephotographing with the Opteka "Digital Duplicator" (discussed at length in earlier threads)with dslrs. Rephotographing color slides on color film always resulted in objectionally increased contrast. Faded old sepia toned photos could be rescued by rephotographing in B&W where the increased contrast brought back faded features. Digital pp of course offers greater opportunities for manipulation. I have never felt the need for a scanner exceptfor an occasionalcopy of a document on an "all-in-one" printer for emailing.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote