Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 10, 2008, 5:28 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 1,868
Default

jachol wrote:
Quote:
Well done Dal, those are excellent shots, pity there's no butterfly house near my location that I know of at least , else I'd be tempted to try my hand. I have a similar homebrew setup of my own, and I agree a ballhead makes things much more flexible. No doubt about it, off camera flash and macro go hand in hand. ... Roy has been advocating that for a long while. ... Jack.
It was Roy who really got me interested in macro, and I have been wanting to emulate his setup (and hopefully some of his pictures) for a couple of years now.

I could never justify the expense of the dedicated leads, so used manual flash and a sync cord, but the cheap one from Poland works a treat. I am going to cut it in half and put a couple of connectors on it so that I can extend it for studio style shots.

Once the flash is off camera, though, you wonder why the lead isn't in every camera box sold.





Dal


Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2008, 5:52 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
jachol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NW. England
Posts: 1,201
Default

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
I could never justify the expense of the dedicated leads, so used manual flash and a sync cord, but the cheap one from Poland works a treat. I am going to cut it in half and put a couple of connectors on it so that I can extend it for studio style shots.

Once the flash is off camera, though, you wonder why the lead isn't in every camera box sold.





Dal

I know what you mean re. the price of dedicated leads.I was fortunate on Ebay to win a mintPentax Af400FTZ + plus the lead and hotshoe adaptor. it doesn't workP-TTL of course, but it's great used manually.

Incidentally as in your initial setup with the Cosina 100mm/3.5 macro lens, I found I could use the onboard flash well diffused and reduced level and got excellent results with that.

I'm going to check out Blackpool zoo to see if they have a butterfly house or anything similar, I haven't been there for a long while, and it's a fairly short trip for me. ... Jack.



jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2008, 6:09 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 1,868
Default

jachol wrote:
Quote:
Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
I could never justify the expense of the dedicated leads, so used manual flash and a sync cord, but the cheap one from Poland works a treat. I am going to cut it in half and put a couple of connectors on it so that I can extend it for studio style shots.

Once the flash is off camera, though, you wonder why the lead isn't in every camera box sold.





Dal

I know what you mean re. the price of dedicated leads.I was fortunate on Ebay to win a mintPentax Af400FTZ + plus the lead and hotshoe adaptor. it doesn't workP-TTL of course, but it's great used manually.

Incidentally as in your initial setup with the Cosina 100mm/3.5 macro lens, I found I could use the onboard flash well diffused and reduced level and got excellent results with that.

I'm going to check out Blackpool zoo to see if they have a butterfly house or anything similar, I haven't been there for a long while, and it's a fairly short trip for me. ... Jack.



Yes, with the Vivitar 100mm/3.5 I could use the onboard flash, and the sigma on the hotshoe. However, I bought a 90mm/2.8 which goes 1:1 natively and even with the Sigma on the hotshoe, I got a shadow. Hence the need for leads.

I got lazy calculating the manual exposure with this lens as it is a k-mount, and prefer P-TTL flash as sometimes you only get one shot.



If you Google "butterfly house in blackpool" there seems to be a couple in that area.



Dal

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2008, 9:32 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
jachol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NW. England
Posts: 1,201
Default

Quote:
If you Google "butterfly house in blackpool" there seems to be a couple in that area.



Dal
OK Dal, thanks for that, I did find one in Lancaster also, which is less than an hours drive up the M6, just need to find some time tha fits in with the family, and to clear a few other commitments first. ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 1:17 AM.