Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 9, 2008, 9:58 PM   #1

Hey gang,
I'm having trouble getting my monitor calibrated so pic look like they're supposed to look.:?
Please tell me which one looks the best and what you would do to make it better. Thank you

Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2008, 10:14 PM   #2

Hi

Which Is best is Very Subjective. Having said that, the First picture Just plain looks Bland/Flat.
Number 2 looks much Better, But To ME its Overexposed too bright.
Number three Looks just about Right to me.

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2008, 11:03 PM   #3

My monitor has 4 settings (toggles, none calibrated). Of yours, No 1 is too light, even atmy darkest setting, and #4 is too dark, even at the lightest, so it is between 2 and 3, and I prefer 2 as itstones aremore natural (3looks too contrasty, although the "exposure"might bebetter). I am not even sure how my own postings look to others since my monitor spontaneously lost its settings and I had to redo them to "taste." (I do my editing on my portable which has no cable internet connection, and then transfer them to the forum through my dinosaur of a desktop which I am about to replace with a Mac) I use the settingfor this forum which makes others' photos look the best, and since most are alike, I assume it is OK - you might try donig the same.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2008, 12:07 AM   #4

I don't think my monitor has the best dynamic range in the world, and sometimes I think that it might show darks a little lighter than most other monitors. But it has a Huey attached to it so its actually calibrated.

In my opinion - #1 looks very overexposed. #2 is best as far as exposure and natural color, but looks flat because there's not enough contrast. #3 looks too contrasty and I don't like the colors as well - it might be the difference in contrast that gives it funny colors (I've sometimes seen that when using Lightroom and going by the histogram to boost contrast). #4 has elements I like about it, but over-all it's too dark for my taste. The one thing I do like about it is that it appears sharper - don't know if that's because of the darker contrast or what. Both #1 and 2 look softer than I like.

Which one did you start off with originally?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2008, 12:18 AM   #5

i am no expert, but i would think trying to calibrate your monitor is difficult to do with a subjective photo such as this, there is no reference point to know what is accurate color. in this photo what is your basis for what is accurate? the photo may have been taken over exposed, under exposed, or with the correct exposure, perhaps the color temperture is off, there is just too many variables to consider. was the grass that green or the sky that blue, or the bird that white? a best bet to color match would be to take multiple photo of something that you can refer back to to determine how accurate the color is like a box of crayons and then try to match the colors with what you see on screen as what you see with your own eyes. this is why some photographers shoot a gray card, to have a point of reference of what is accurate to refer back to when processing photos.

as to which photo looks best, imho i think #4 looks "best" (but a tad too dark) although somewhere between #2 and #4 would be almost ideal.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2008, 12:18 AM   #6

I use a CRT monitor Veiwsonic Graphic Series G90fb. I also use from Pantone the Huey color monitor. That being said, I find:

#1- Overeposed and washed out looking, no color, detail, sharpness. Seems to be grainy/noisy as well.

#2 - Exposed well and natural looking in saturation and the detail in the feathers can be seen.

#3 - Saturation a bit overdone look in this one though the exposure looks good.

#4 - Looks like the untweaked version of the original shot. Has that underexposed look to it but the color, detail, and overall sharpness looks best.

I like the look of the second best out of them all but the last one begs for a slight tweak to get the best possible results.

Mahalo,

Tom
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2008, 1:25 AM   #7

After reading the other responses, considering the sun angle, and realizing you are in Florida, where the local race of Sandhill Crane, if memory serves me correctly, was called in the old literature (even before my time!)the "Little Brown Crane", I copied your 4th picture into my processor and varied the brightness and was able to duplicate nos 2 and 1 (but not 3) by simply increasing the brightness. I found the most realistic image (useableat all 4 of my settings) was obtained with a 12% increase in brightness and a similar amount of desaturation to tone down the too bright greens. So Tomcould be rightright -- a slight adjustment to number 4 could be the ticket.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2008, 4:08 PM   #8

penolta wrote:
Quote:
After reading the other responses, considering the sun angle, and realizing you are in Florida, where the local race of Sandhill Crane, if memory serves me correctly, was called in the old literature (even before my time!)the "Little Brown Crane", I copied your 4th picture into my processor and varied the brightness and was able to duplicate nos 2 and 1 (but not 3) by simply increasing the brightness. I found the most realistic image (useableat all 4 of my settings) was obtained with a 12% increase in brightness and a similar amount of desaturation to tone down the too bright greens. So Tomcould be rightright -- a slight adjustment to number 4 could be the ticket.
OK, Thank you all so much!
You have all been more help than you realize. I recently bought a new monitor (Flatron 2252TQ) by LG. to use alongside my old Wal Mart el-cheap'O 19"LCD. Let me tell you the 22" wide screen with 10,000:1 contrast ratio is a world of difference! Anyway, when I first set up the duel monitors and tweaked the settings everything looked good. Then Sunday, all of a sudden all my pics started looking really bad! Like the gama setting went off the chart. I could not get it to reset for the life of me. I finally uninstalled the driver and then reinstalled it. I think I have it now. Last night when I posted this plea for help my eyes were strained so bad and I was so tired I couldn't see or think strait! 10 hours in front of the computer after 8 hours at work can do that to you. This afternoon my eyes are much better (not sure about the brain) and after reading all the replies, I agree with your overall evaluations. #1 is too light #2 almost right but needs more work, #3 is the pitts! And #4 way under exposed. Yes, that's the original I had to work with. (ugh) one of my first shooting trials. Taken with the kit lens on a cloudy mid afternoon.
(Excuses, excuses ):-)
I agree, this wasn't the best shot to use for an eval. But despite the less than ideal quality… I captured a series of shots depicting a rather interesting courting ritual display. As soon as I get all the photos edited and uploaded to a photo site I'll post it here so you all can enjoy them.

PS.
a couple foot notes. 1. Sorry about making the pics in the first post above so large! I didn't realize it would come out so big. I cut them down some.
2. I wanted to let you all know how much I enjoy seeing all the nature shots you post. Harriet & Penolta, you guys almost make me want to move back to California with some of the shots you get! (Almost)
3. Black knight, thanks for your input. It's interesting, #3 looks best on my old monitor but, looks lousy on my new one. It was done same as #2 but I also added a one click "auto levels" to it.
4 Tom and ishmo, thanks for your valued input!
Hey ishmo! The photo you use for your avatar, looks a lot like my little brother… we're not related are we?
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote