Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 11, 2008, 8:46 PM   #1

slowly but surely i've been putting together what i need to try and sell some prints.
this is what i've got now. 4x6'' proof shot enlarged to 12x18 to be matted and mounted to foam board at 18x24'' and then matted at the same size. got the mat cutter in today and the cutting head for abeveled mat.. i have hinge tape and clear 18x24 sleeves on the way.. when i first started this i thought all you did was glue stik the photo to the foamboard and go from there.. guess i was naive as there's a lot more to it than that to do it right..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2008, 9:38 PM   #2

Isn't that always the case? If it were easy to sell photos, everyone would be doing it (and nobody would be buying because they would all be doing it themselves).

I never knew how photos were mounted, butI did figure it wasn't gluestick (which either wouldn't hold permanently or else wrinkle the photo). Things like mounting pictures perfectly centered on mat board looked like something too tedious for me - I'd always be off a mm or two and never get it right.

Good luck with this and let us know how you make out.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 10:05 PM   #3

the problem is the foam board mount, print, and mat all react differently from the ambient temperature.. each shrinks and expands differently .. that's what the hinge tape is for..

roy
Old Jun 11, 2008, 11:53 PM   #4

Could you post more pictures of the process? There are some things I don't know what they are, like hinge tape, foam board, beveled mat. Dictionary doesn't help, and such words are seldom used by Shakespeare or Doris Lessing, the type of writers we read in English class.:-)

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2008, 7:04 AM   #5

Hi Roy,

The one you might want talk to is Jamie (Gemologist) at the other site. His wife and him do that for a living...

You might want to consider Posterboard for a backer. I know it is thinner, but it is more like the print paper and easier to put into store bought frames.

Rudy

bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2008, 11:40 AM   #6

kjell, i will.. i'm a neub at this as well.. google oh, ''matting photos'' or maybe ''mounting photos'' .. i'll look for a couple links.
mainly the photo is mounted with 2 or 3 pieces of tape at the top and that's it. the mat itself is taped along one edge of the mat. i've talked to a couple of framers and said that i had no idea what framing actually entailed.. just got a grin in return..

rudy, i've looked but everything has to be acid freeand chemically inert.. nothing on the poster boards has any info i could find. i've bought 10 foam boars for 10 bucks reg 2.79 so i'm set for awhile.. i'll drop jamie a line and pick his brains for awhile.. thanks..

roy

Old Jun 12, 2008, 6:41 PM   #7

Hi Roy,

My father in law used to do Pencil drawings and oil paintings. For his Pencil Drawings he had them made into numbered prints and matted. As far I know he did not have a backer. The matting gave the prints their rigidity for framing.

One thing you might want to try is not attach the pictures to the foam board or the mat. Just sandwich it in between them and seal the edges of the backer to themat. Just a thought. sort of like how you would constuct a Drawer. The bottom is never attached to the rest of the drawer.

As for frames with the foam board as backing and being matted also, I think that your talents as a carpenter are going to come into play. I have made most of my own frames for tin signs and my own pictures. If you are like me then you have saved all of yourvarious sizedcutoffs from the jobs.

Rudy

bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2008, 8:36 PM   #8

rudy,
if i saved cutoffs i guess i could build a 3000sq.' storage to put it in.. i have no plans to do the framing altho i could build them in my sleep..
Old Jun 13, 2008, 2:10 PM   #9

Hi Roy,

Yes I am still alive!

I don't like using foam board for a backing as I have had some adhesive come loose from it, so I use Cressent illustration board instead which works better for me. I use 3M spray photo adhesive on the back of my prints (on photo paper) and use a rubber roller for print making to make sure they are flat. I have found that other brands of photo adhesive don't work as well as the 3M does, and a glue stick will make a mess you will have a hard time recovering from.

I do not glue the matt to the illustration board and I normally use a double matt in either Oak or metal frames. I never use non glare glass since it makes the photos hard to see unless they are directly against the glass and I always use a dust cover on the back with the Oak frames.

Use only quality matt board and photo paper and you will be good.

Hope that is of some value to you!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 10:01 PM   #10

just finished my first mount.. learned a LOT.. keep it square.. i used hinge tape on the mat and mount and used photo corners for the print.. all's well except i won 2 mat cutter boards and today i turned my 3x5' drafting tabel into a mat cutter. i guess it'll do any thing up to 58''.. i'll be listing the 2 boards back on ebay soon..

roy