Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 13, 2008, 7:30 AM   #1

Was trying to get some shots of the horses with the barn as a background the other day. They all immediately went to the end of the field protected by trees.

What do you think? Is this one salvageable? Or, am I just liking it because it had the two things I was trying to capture? I think it might have been better if I could have gotten the horse in one piece.

Thanks, Patty
Attached Images

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2008, 11:03 AM   #2

Too bad for those branches in the way. The photo is great otherwise, exposure, color, contrast. I played with the clone tool, but there's too much to remove and too much detail to replace. A chain saw would be thebest solution.

Attached Images

a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 11:59 AM   #3

That is quite a clone job a200user! I think it would look OK with just the big bottom branch gone. The exposure was spot on.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 6:42 PM   #4

that would have been a great shot with out the cross branches! the framing of the leaves and the perspective is fantastic!
I love old barns.
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 10:00 PM   #5

Thanks for the input. And, good job on the cloning a200user.

I went back today to see if I could do it without scaring them off. No luck. They were already on the far side of the field not even near the trees. It's near my work, so will continue to check it out and hopefully be at the right place at the right time with the sun in the right place.......

I'll go see if I can't do something about at least one of the branches in PSE. Although, for the purpose I wanted it I can't submit it. I was going to submit to a local photo contest. Can't do any "major" adjustments to the photos.

Patty
Old Jun 13, 2008, 11:12 PM   #6

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the input. And, good job on the cloning a200user.

I went back today to see if I could do it without scaring them off. No luck. They were already on the far side of the field not even near the trees. It's near my work, so will continue to check it out and hopefully be at the right place at the right time with the sun in the right place.......

I'll go see if I can't do something about at least one of the branches in PSE. Although, for the purpose I wanted it I can't submit it. I was going to submit to a local photo contest. Can't do any "major" adjustments to the photos.

Patty
hey Patty, no problem, just make friends with them. start taking a small buckett of horse feed (sweet grain) with you every time you go. the first couple times you do, you may just have to dump it where they'll get it when your a safe distance away, make sure they hear you (clang the buckett) and see you pour it out for them.
soon they will come trotting up to you for a treat when they see you comming.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 11:41 PM   #7

Thanks, Goldwinger. I may just try that.

Here's a cloned out version similar to a200user's. I just did the bottom branch.

What do you think?
Attached Images

Old Jun 14, 2008, 12:09 AM   #8

ofcorse it's a horse!

Old Jun 14, 2008, 1:03 AM   #9

If it were my picture, I'd either leave it the way it is or give up on it. In some ways it's not that bad as is, gives you the impression you are spying on the horses. On the other hand, as a picture for a photo contest, it's hopeless.

While you'd definitely get to be friends with them if you bring a sweet feed, the owner might not like it as some are picky about what they feed their horses and how much they get. You might have as good luck making friends if you bring carrots - I never knew any owners who would object to a carrot or two (but then, I haven't owned horses in over 20 years so don't know the current thought).

There's a Britishcandy called Polos, I think (it's been a very long time since I was there and around horses), that ponies love. There were those who would use them instead of sugar (though I doubt they were any better for the horses) to catch field ponies.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2008, 7:48 AM   #10

Yikes! Goldwinger. I knew he was mad at me, but to be laughing at me.:-)

Yep, I think it's a lost cause at this point. I looked at my newest version this morning and it just looks funny. Maybe it's because I know how blocked that opening. Yesterday when I stopped by the owner's were leaving their home. I was afraid at first they were driving out to tell me to leave. But, they just smiled and waived. They probably get people all the time stopping to watch the horses. But, feeding them, might be a different story.

Patty