Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 14, 2008, 8:25 AM   #1

Hi All

I have a Question for All. The involves My K100D. After shooting At a car Show several weeks ago, i Thought that I spotted Some dust in A Couple of the Pictures. One in Particular has several Areas that look as thought it is waterspotted. 90% look fine.
Anyway I decided to take a Shot At cleaning It With My Cooperhill Cleaning kit. I Put the camera in Cleaning mode and took out the Cleaning Kit Which Consists of a pecpad and Cleaning fluid.
Looking at the sensor there appears to be several Spots on the Sensor that look just like Water Spots. I tried Cleaning The sensor several passes with different Pads and these areas are Still there.
So for my question: Should the sensor be Clear or is it ok to have these Water Spot areas on It.

Thanks

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2008, 8:53 AM   #2

gawd ,,, i hate this site.. mainly when you've made composed a post and hit a button by accidentand you loose your entire post.

phil, if you can see it with your naked eye then you see a lot better than me.. the eclipse solution and pecpad should clean it. i've had to literally scrub off my sensor using it.. i ck mine using a white photoshpt image.. i also think there has been a lot of hype about the vulnerability of the low pass filter.. i think it'll take quite a bit of abuse than what's been posted.. yes, you need to be careful and not do stupid things to it.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2008, 5:29 PM   #3

Phil,

I have never seen any spots on the sensor, and I thought that normal dustbunnies are almost invisible to the eye.

So if you see water spots, then you have or very very good eyes or something isn't right.

Ronny

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2008, 9:54 PM   #4

Roy

Thanks i will try again tomorrow, but a blind man could not miss the little circles, what i call water spots.

Phil

robar wrote:
Quote:
gawd ,,, i hate this site.. mainly when you've made composed a post and hit a button by accidentand you loose your entire post.

phil, if you can see it with your naked eye then you see a lot better than me.. the eclipse solution and pecpad should clean it. i've had to literally scrub off my sensor using it.. i ck mine using a white photoshpt image.. i also think there has been a lot of hype about the vulnerability of the low pass filter.. i think it'll take quite a bit of abuse than what's been posted.. yes, you need to be careful and not do stupid things to it.

roy
Old Jun 14, 2008, 10:03 PM   #5

Ronny

Thanks. I wear glasses for close work, so my eyes are far from great. However the minute i pull the mirror up, i could clearly see what looks like Water spots.
I guess if the Second cleaning does nothing. I will need to send it to Pentax or maybe just tell The BOSS that the Camera is bad and talk her into letting me get the K20D. Luckily I still have the DS to fall back on. Since its out of warrrenty, i will see if there is a local repair shop to take it To

Phil

rhermans wrote:
Quote:
Phil,

I have never seen any spots on the sensor, and I thought that normal dustbunnies are almost invisible to the eye.

So if you see water spots, then you have or very very good eyes or something isn't right.

Ronny

Old Jun 14, 2008, 10:30 PM   #6

Hi Phil,

I haven't ventured to cleaning my sensor. But, I, for one, thinkyou should just tell the boss you need a K20.:lol:

One more person to have upgraded, I'm one step closer to convincing my hubbie I need to. :G

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2008, 12:13 AM   #7

robar wrote:
Quote:
....mainly when you've made composed a post and hit a button by accidentand you loose your entire post.
I have done this dozens of times. Here's a tip...

Before pushing any buttons, and every time a chunk of text has been satisfactorily composed, highlight the entire contents of the editor box, and copy it to the clipboard. Then you can put it back again when the accident happens, without retyping the lot.

If you use a clipboard manager such as the shareware utility 'Clipmate', you can keep a sort of version history of your attempts, and retrace your work until you finally get it right.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2008, 2:16 AM   #8

Phil, I have cleaned mine three times. Twice with just the blower, and then once with cleaning solution. When I used the solution it took me several tries to getit clean. I believe Roy is correct about the lowpass filter. It isglass so it can take a bit of elbow grease! As for water spots, they would only matter if they show up on your shots. Otherwise I wouldn't mess with them.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2008, 6:53 AM   #9

Phil, My BOSS even suggested that I got the K20D when I send my K10D in for repairs. She probably didn't want me looking to unhappy .

Wow Glenn, only 3 times, don't even know how much I cleaned it, but around once every two months is about correct.

Got a dust blower, but never found it to work to satisfaction, so I've been using an artic butterfly for more that a year and have been really happy with it.
http://www.visibledust.com/products3.php?pid=1

Only thing I found was that when using it, to use freshly loaded or new batteries.

Still don't want to use any liquid, but that is more because the shop where I bought will clean the sensor for 20€ and I find that better for my stress level.
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2008, 7:01 AM   #10

Glenn

I Believe that It is showing In My pictures. The last set i took had large Spots in The pictures Very noticeable. While Not all Did at least 10% Did. Thats what Prompted me to Check It in the First place
However i Will try Again Today and see if i can clean it up

THX

Phil

Lyrics51 wrote:
Quote:
Phil, I have cleaned mine three times. Twice with just the blower, and then once with cleaning solution. When I used the solution it took me several tries to getit clean. I believe Roy is correct about the lowpass filter. It isglass so it can take a bit of elbow grease! As for water spots, they would only matter if they show up on your shots. Otherwise I wouldn't mess with them.

Glenn