Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 19, 2008, 12:00 AM   #11

I find the problem unique. I have routinely taken images in excess of this and never never had this noise. I shoot in Jpeg with NR on.

This one was 30 secs, resized only. Nothing special though it does demonstrate a nice clean image

PK
Attached Images

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2008, 12:14 AM   #12

Well, right now the camera's at my gf's house so I have to wait till tomw. I know for sure I have to clean the sensor because i can see dust spots wherever there are bright areas or blue sky. Also, I'll check whether or not the NR feature got turned off by mistake when I switched the Auto ISO to 200-1600. I have noticed some more color noise in some of my recent shots in Mystic CT, though nothing as glaring as this picture.

Fortunately, this seems to just be an aberration of sorts. Who knows, maybe it just needs a sensor cleaning, I havent had to do that yet and I got the k100 in September '07.
JBoyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2008, 9:29 PM   #13

Boy was I stupid! I come back to my g/f's house to find out that the NR feature was turned OFF! I dont remember switching that off in the menu. Could it have been that when I switched to Auto ISO that it automatically switched off the NR?

I shoulda checked. That oversight cost me a great picture! :sad:
Old Jun 19, 2008, 9:53 PM   #14

No offense jachol but your "cleaned up" images looks like poo. Ever hear a real noise reduction plug-in. The junk that comes with Photoshop is near worthless.

As for the original image if the K100D has dark frame subtraction for long exposure turn it on. Otherwise invest in a good noise reduction plug-in like Neat Image or Noise Ninja or better yet Nik Software's Dfine 2.0.

Otherwise I see very little wrong with the image.

Robert
Robert Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 3:16 AM   #15

Robert Barnett wrote:
Quote:
No offense jachol but your "cleaned up" images looks like poo. Ever hear a real noise reduction plug-in. The junk that comes with Photoshop is near worthless.

As for the original image if the K100D has dark frame subtraction for long exposure turn it on. Otherwise invest in a good noise reduction plug-in like Neat Image or Noise Ninja or better yet Nik Software's Dfine 2.0.

Otherwise I see very little wrong with the image.

Robert
OK Robert,

Point taken, I did say it was a quick effort, I was only suggesting a possible approach, and yes I do know of noise reduction plug-ins, fact isI tried Noiseware pro, and got worse results than present. Got to say like bluwing,the editlooked better on my own screen, before I posted, Probably should have deleted then ... Jack

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 8:21 AM   #16

OK ! here's another fix, if you like it I'll tell you what I did ... Jack.
Attached Images

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2008, 10:39 PM   #17

Now that I made sure the NR was on, here's a 13 sec exposure at my house at dusk.

Next time dummy's gonna check to see if a setting changed! :?

Attached Images

Old Jun 21, 2008, 11:15 PM   #18

The more I look at the original, the more I think one of the biggest problems is its out of focus. I'm not seeing a lot of noise on my screen. The last shot of thehouse is really nice. By the way, did you use the mirror lock up on the shot?

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote