Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 18, 2008, 8:31 PM   #1

I can't believe I did this!:angry::angry::angry: I packed my camera gear including tripod, on the motorcycle this morning as I left for work. I planned on getting some shots of some Osprey nesting on a power pole in the parking lot.
On my lunch break I set up my gear and headed out around the building to take some pics. Well I should have checked first because they were gone… any other time they would have been there. Anyway, I took everything back to the bike and packed it up. I had the long lens on the camera and didn't want to break it down so I just put the lens cap on it and laid it carefully in my camera bag, strapped my tripod to the luggage rack and went back to work. When I got off this afternoon, I stopped at the lake near my house to take some shots. That's when it happened. I pulled the camera bag out with one handle ( I forgot to zip it shut ) and as I lowered it to my side the camera and lens rolled out and hit the asphalt!

Not as bad as it could have been, very small rash on the lens cap and on the right front edge of the pop up flash. I rubbed it out and you really have to look hard to see anything. Now the bad news, the impact broke the view finder glass. Does anyone know if this is something I can order and replace myself or is it one of those "must return to Pentax" jobs?
Thanks
-John
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2008, 8:37 PM   #2
PDL

So what really broke?

The focus screen or the optics on the viewfinder (where you put your eye)?

Focus screens are available, I would assume that if it is the optics in the viewfinder itself - it needs to be sent in for repair.

PDL
PDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2008, 9:52 PM   #3

This must have been a day for doing stupid things with bags. I went to the beach today after work to shoot the sand castle contest. I'm using a different bag than I normally do because my other isn't large enough for the 70-300 lens.

I didn't, but almost did, not zip the bag shut. Something made me double check that I had zipped it shut. Luckily I did, because I hadn't zipped it. My friend was anxious because our meter had run out on the parking space. I almost (real almost) didn't take the extra time to check it.

Sounds like, even though you might be out of a camera for a little while, it wasn't too bad. At least it didn't shatter the whole body. Good luck.

Patty

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2008, 9:53 PM   #4

I've never seen a listing for the glass on the back of the camera and it doesn't look like it would be something you'd want to mess with.As PDL mentioned, replacing the focus screen inside the camera, just above the mirror is very easy. Pentax has a couple of different screens, plus there's always the split screen that you can get from third party people.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2008, 11:35 PM   #5
igo

Goldwinger wrote:
Quote:
I can't believe I did this!:angry::angry::angry: I packed my camera gear including tripod, on the motorcycle this morning as I left for work. I planned on getting some shots of some Osprey nesting on a power pole in the parking lot.
On my lunch break I set up my gear and headed out around the building to take some pics. Well I should have checked first because they were gone… any other time they would have been there. Anyway, I took everything back to the bike and packed it up. I had the long lens on the camera and didn't want to break it down so I just put the lens cap on it and laid it carefully in my camera bag, strapped my tripod to the luggage rack and went back to work. When I got off this afternoon, I stopped at the lake near my house to take some shots. That's when it happened. I pulled the camera bag out with one handle ( I forgot to zip it shut ) and as I lowered it to my side the camera and lens rolled out and hit the asphalt!

Not as bad as it could have been, very small rash on the lens cap and on the right front edge of the pop up flash. I rubbed it out and you really have to look hard to see anything. Now the bad news, the impact broke the view finder glass. Does anyone know if this is something I can order and replace myself or is it one of those "must return to Pentax" jobs?
Thanks
-John
Quote:
I too am a scooter shooter AND I have an impresive collection of Osprey images. I don't know how to fix you camera but I can tell you I've been dropped Pentax Cameras off mountains and motorcycles for years and they just keep on shooting.
igo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2008, 7:55 AM   #6

Hi Goldwnger,

Sorry to hear of the damage to your camera, I'de send it to be checked out regardless of it's good appearance, but I'm glad it wasn't the 'wing that hit the tarmac.
Keep your rubber side down.

Simon
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2008, 10:32 AM   #7

Hey John

Sorry to hear about the camera. My advice, send it to the dealer for checking and repair. When it comes to the camera and the bike, always err on the side of caution. Both are worth the time and effort

Happy Riding

Brian
goldwing85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2008, 2:08 PM   #8

PDL wrote:
Quote:
So what really broke?

The focus screen or the optics on the viewfinder (where you put your eye)?

Focus screens are available, I would assume that if it is the optics in the viewfinder itself - it needs to be sent in for repair.

PDL
yep, it's the view finder optic. From what I can see it looks like the whole top of the camera has to come off to get to the eye piece. I think you are correct, I'll send it in!:sad:
Old Jun 19, 2008, 2:17 PM   #9

goldwing85 wrote:
Quote:
Hey John

Sorry to hear about the camera. My advice, send it to the dealer for checking and repair. When it comes to the camera and the bike, always err on the side of caution. Both are worth the time and effort

Happy Riding

Brian
Yeah, I think you're right Brian. On the bike, I do it myself but, the camera is a little out of my expertise.
Guess I'm just a cheap SOB that hates to pay good money to do something I think I can do myself!:-?:angry:

Old Jun 19, 2008, 2:24 PM   #10

Thank you everyone for your kind comments!
Yes, Simon and Patty. You are both correct, I do count my blessings!!!:-)