Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 20, 2008, 3:34 PM   #1

Just picked up the Metz 48AF-1 flash for Pentax. Thought I had investigated this flash but I was wrong. First of all it doesn't have it's own sensor-HAS to be connected to the camera on the hot shoe or with a cord. (Wanted to us it as a slave once in a while) Can't be done without buying another more expensive flash which has to beconnected to the camera. (My error)

I have only had it a few hours but it appears it can only be used in the P-TTL mode or Manual. Mounted on a K10d with a DA 55-300. This was a special order so I can't return it or it would be going back today. Be very careful if you are considering this flash. I have been using an old AF 500 FTZ with better results.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2008, 4:34 PM   #2

sorry to hear that! I know the feeling.:-x
check your private message.
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2008, 2:34 PM   #3

DMJJR wrote:
Quote:
I have only had it a few hours¬* but it appears it can only¬* be used in the P-TTL mode or Manual.¬* Mounted on a K10d with a DA 55-300.¬* This was a special order so I can't return it or it would be going back today.¬* Be very careful if you are considering this flash.¬* I have been using an old AF 500 FTZ with better results.
Hmm sorry to hear that . But it is within its spec that it is a pttl mode or manual. It has less feature than the expensive 58 model.
AF500 ftz does not even support k10d. Why would you say that it gives better result?
Does your 48 flash expose/meter perfectly? Or the percentage of over or underexposure????
On paper, the only that I do not like it is its power which is just the same as AF360 , the lowest of all pttl flash.
I have a cheapo Sigma 500ST which has almost the same power as AF540 of Pentax & Metz 58. It is very primitive when it comes to bells and whistle. But its exposure is 95% correct.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2008, 9:32 PM   #4

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
DMJJR wrote:
Quote:
I have only had it a few hours but it appears it can only be used in the P-TTL mode or Manual. Mounted on a K10d with a DA 55-300. This was a special order so I can't return it or it would be going back today. Be very careful if you are considering this flash. I have been using an old AF 500 FTZ with better results.
Hmm sorry to hear that . But it is within its spec that it is a pttl mode or manual. It has less feature than the expensive 58 model.
AF500 ftz does not even support k10d. Why would you say that it gives better result?
Does your 48 flash expose/meter perfectly? Or the percentage of over or underexposure????
On paper, the only that I do not like it is its power which is just the same as AF360 , the lowest of all pttl flash.
I have a cheapo Sigma 500ST which has almost the same power as AF540 of Pentax & Metz 58. It is very primitive when it comes to bells and whistle. But its exposure is 95% correct.

Daniel

All the shots are consistantly underexposed-2 to 3 stops. I was hoping to have the flexibility of using it as a slave (the AF 500 FTZ works perfectly)Since there is no sensor in the flash unit you have to use another flash on the camera for this mode. Speaking of that I use the K10d and have the AF 500 in manual mode and use it as fill, on a bracket.

The manual leaves a lot to be desired and anything on the web is virtually useless. It's tranlated from German-that doesn't work.

I'mgoing to contact my supplier on Monday to try and return this. Either something is wrong with the unitor I am doing something wrong. I have used all kinds of flashes over the years-Vivitar, Sigma, Sunpak, Olympus ,Pentax and never had this kind of problem I know he won't give me my money back-hopefully he will take it back and give me credit-will buy the last Limited lens I don't own and go back to my old flashes.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 4:55 AM   #5

DMJJR wrote:
Quote:
All the shots are consistantly underexposed-2 to 3 stops.¬*
There is some positive sign . At least it is consistant. You may jack up the flash EV in your menu and see if the underexposure can be corrected.

Quote:
I was hoping to have the flexibility of using it as a slave (the AF 500 FTZ works perfectly)¬*Since there is no sensor in the flash unit you have to use another flash on the camera for this mode.¬* ¬*Speaking of that I use the K10d and have the AF 500 in manual mode and use it as fill, on a bracket.
K10D may have an effect on the flash performance with its numerous firmware. I would have tried the flash on other camera like DL or K100D to test it out.
Metz 48 can do usb rechipping . It should match that of K10D if not for the latter's different firmware.
I cannot comprehend that you are happy with AF500 in manual mode. A lot of $30 manual mode flash can do that as there is no need for any sensor or metering at all. It just fire in full blast (power). And your Metz 48 , 10X in cost, is expected to meter correctly and consistantly in auto mode.

Daniel
Old Jun 22, 2008, 7:44 PM   #6

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
DMJJR wrote:
Quote:
All the shots are consistantly underexposed-2 to 3 stops.
There is some positive sign . At least it is consistant. You may jack up the flash EV in your menu and see if the underexposure can be corrected.

Quote:
I was hoping to have the flexibility of using it as a slave (the AF 500 FTZ works perfectly)Since there is no sensor in the flash unit you have to use another flash on the camera for this mode. Speaking of that I use the K10d and have the AF 500 in manual mode and use it as fill, on a bracket.
K10D may have an effect on the flash performance with its numerous firmware. I would have tried the flash on other camera like DL or K100D to test it out.
Metz 48 can do usb rechipping . It should match that of K10D if not for the latter's different firmware.
I cannot comprehend that you are happy with AF500 in manual mode. A lot of $30 manual mode flash can do that as there is no need for any sensor or metering at all. It just fire in full blast (power). And your Metz 48 , 10X in cost, is expected to meter correctly and consistantly in auto mode.

Daniel
First of all no one is "blasting away". B&H still has the AF500 for sale @ $200.00, so it is not 1/10 the cost. The Metz was $249 so there is no great difference, except the features of the flash. I mount the AF500 on my DS and get great performance. I spend a$1000 on a K10 body, DA 40 2.8 Limited, and a Metz flash and now I get to make manual adjustments? What's wrong with that picture?

Old Jun 22, 2008, 8:51 PM   #7

DMJJR wrote:
Quote:
First of all no one is "blasting away".¬*¬* B&H still has the AF500 for sale @ $200.00, so it is not 1/10 the cost.¬* The Metz was $249 so there is no great difference, except the features of the flash.¬* I mount the AF500 on my DS and get great performance.¬*
You have every reason to be frustrated as K10D has a new pttl flash system. I was not aware that you had Ds which matches AF500 TTL flash system. The point I wanted to make is that your AF500 can only be used as a manual flash for K10D(=$30 value in any manual flash with low voltage).

I am sure AF500 (+Ds) is a better flash performer than Metz 48 + K10D. Besides the accuracy of metering, Metz 48 is very much underpowered when compared with AF500. Metz 58 can match AF500 power.

As very few people have the Metz flash, there will be more report of its performance. Hope you have a consistancy of underexposure which can easily be adjusted.

Quote:
I spend a$1000 on a K10 body, DA 40 2.8 Limited, and a Metz flash and now I get to make manual adjustments?¬* What's wrong with that picture?¬*
It is one time finetuning of your flash power assuming your image is consistant in underexposure (say 2/3 stops).

There has been suggestion that slightly cheaper flash like AF360 or Metz 48 are capable performer. My input is that it is a big no at least for me in relation to weaker firepower flash. Flash are best used for bounce and direct flash hit is a recipe for poor shots (unless with extreme care). When bouncing, you need all the firepower you can obtain from the flash. With both AF360 or Metz 48, you will be handicapped by their lack of power.

Daniel
Old Jun 23, 2008, 11:48 PM   #8

Hi,

First time poster here and I registered just to give my views since I own the same model. I got this unit only last month and I am very happy with the results it is giving. I knew before I bought it that it can only do P-TTL and manual mode

Using the metz as a slave unit in wireless mode, it works flawlessly with my K10d using only the built in flash as the master controller. No need to buy another external flash to be the master. You might need to recheck your settings. Try to do a reset of the flash (hold Mode button for 5secs) and do several test. For bounce flash, you need to compensate depends on how high the ceiling is.

Here's a sample picture of my daughter with the Metz 48.
Attached Images

Edicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2008, 11:50 PM   #9

I forgot to include that my lcd monitor is not calibrated so I have no idea what the picture looks like in a calibrated one but I like the way it looks in my monitor.

Thanks.
Edicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2008, 12:01 AM   #10

Edicon wrote:
Quote:
I forgot to include that my lcd monitor is not calibrated so I have no idea what the picture looks like in a calibrated one but I like the way it looks in my monitor.

Thanks.
Shot looks great to me-have tried everything-firmware is up to date-cannot get it to reset or go into the "SL" mode. The manual also states it has a "modelling" mode-that is not available either. Got a reply from my supplier today-they will take it back.

Thanks for all your input.