Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 21, 2008, 10:02 PM   #1

Need some input… especially from the ladies.
Which one do you like the best?

Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2008, 10:08 PM   #2

I prefer the second one. On my monitor the first one looks a little out of focus. I see they are the same image, but it just looks that way to me.

Nice job.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2008, 11:23 PM   #3

I'm not crazy about the first one - it looks too processed. My taste is for natural color and processing for the most part, so I prefer the second one. I also prefer sharper to soft.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2008, 9:24 AM   #4

Thank you girls,
I agree with you both, you have a good eye! I used a bit of noise control on #1 also it's heavily prossesed with the hue and saturation controls. I wasn't too fond of it myself but, my gf said she really liked it. I suppose what I'm trying to establish is a type of litmus test so I can figure out how my opinion, her opinion and others opinion all compare. I know… "art is in the eye of the beholder" or perhaps just the creator.:-) But I feel I can get an honest idea of what folks think in this forum. I have a few more I'll be posting in the next few days so stay tuned. :bye:

Old Jun 22, 2008, 10:05 AM   #5

here's a couple more...

Old Jun 22, 2008, 11:38 AM   #6

Whats your opinion of this one?
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2008, 1:38 PM   #7

I'm not the best person to offer an opinion on composition. I admire the cloning job (I assume you used cloning) on #4, but I don't like it because I think it looks too unbalanced, too much unused space on the left. If it were me, I'd take that picture and crop closer.

#3 has some real possibilities. As it is, it looks too dark and soft on my monitor for my taste. You might try to adjust the levels on the flower by itself and add a little USM/Smart Sharpen (if you use photoshop), keeping the background as it is now.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 4:46 PM   #8

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
Whats your opinion of this one?
I really like it Bynx. but, you really threw me for a minuet there! It looks just a lot like one I haven't posted yet!:-)

Old Jun 22, 2008, 5:21 PM   #9

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I'm not the best person to offer an opinion on composition. I admire the cloning job (I assume you used cloning) on #4, but I don't like it because I think it looks too unbalanced, too much unused space on the left. If it were me, I'd take that picture and crop closer.

#3 has some real possibilities. As it is, it looks too dark and soft on my monitor for my taste. You might try to adjust the levels on the flower by itself and add a little USM/Smart Sharpen (if you use photoshop), keeping the background as it is now.
Thank you Harriet,
I'll try those suggestions. You are right about the soft image, it's the cheap glass! I've never been able to get a sharp image with this lens.
I took these about 6-8 weeks ago and to be honest, I can't remember just how I got some of the effects. (pretty sad huh):-) I have CS3 but, I'm still learning how to use it. I'll have to play with smart sharpen and see what I can do. Soon as I come up with something, I'll post it for your approval.

Old Jun 23, 2008, 2:16 PM   #10

A suggestion on the third one since you are using CS3 (I use CS2 so itshould work the sameway)- make a copy of the background, then use levels adjustment to get the flower the way you want it (lighten it). Then select the flower by itself (you can use the magic selection tool a couple of times to capture it while avoiding the background) and add a layer mask - that will leave just the flower lighter and cut away the lighter background, which you don't want. You can also apply the smart sharpening and the USM to the layer copy and it will apply to just the flower too. The advantage of using a layer mask over selecting the flower and doing a layer with just the flower is that you can add or subtract things to your selection, in case you don't quite get the selection right the first time. I love layer masks because it's easy to "paint out" or "paint in" bits and pieces.