Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 22, 2008, 4:58 PM   #1

One of the nice things about the digital age is that you don't have to wait till you get home to bore your friends and neighbors with your vacation pics, especially if you have access to your son's computer. Yesterday, we visited the remarkable Polynesian Culture Center on the north side of Oahu. Tremendous opportunities for very colorful photography, especially the "Canoe Parade," which features dancers from each of the islands represented in the center. From Tahiti, a traditional hula dancer

From the island of Fiji, a highly painted warrior

From Tonga

Each of these shots was with the K20 and the Sigma 70-200 f2.8. One of the highlights of the Center is a 90 minute even pagaent. Fortunately, we had excellent seats and I was able to get by with the reach of the Pentax 50mm f1.4.

Unfortunately, my son didn't have Noiseware, so when I went up to ISO 3200 for the night shots and the fire dancers, I haven't had the ability to run these through noise reduction.

I'll bore you with more from our trip later.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2008, 5:21 PM   #2

Not boring at all Paul. some really nice shots!
sure wish I had waited a few more weks to get my camera, :sad:I'd have the K20 instead of the 10... oh well, live and learn.
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2008, 9:18 PM   #3

Great Shots Paul,

Definitlely makes me homesick. I have made my last trip there back in 2003 at PCC. I frequented the Big Island since my Dad lived there until he passed last year.

Mahalo,

Tom
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2008, 12:19 AM   #4

Good series, I love the last one. Photos from holidays are taken in seconds or even less, but make you remember the day for years.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2008, 4:17 AM   #5

Sad postscript to the story.....These are the last photos I took with the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 and the Pentax 50mm f1.4. While I was at the beach this afternoon, thieves broke into my rental car...popped the trunk...and stole my camera bag, with these two lenses and the kit lens in it. Fortunately, I had my K20 with the DA*50-135 mounted with me at the beach.

Definitely a sour note for my Hawaiian vacation.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2008, 2:13 PM   #6

Paul,

I am saddened with the news of this happening to you. I truly am sorry to hear about things like this.

Tom
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2008, 5:27 PM   #7

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
Sad postscript to the story.....These are the last photos I took with the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 and the Pentax 50mm f1.4. While I was at the beach this afternoon, thieves broke into my rental car...popped the trunk...and stole my camera bag, with these two lenses and the kit lens in it. Fortunately, I had my K20 with the DA*50-135 mounted with me at the beach.

Definitely a sour note for my Hawaiian vacation.

Paul
Damn Paul!
I hate it when some low life thinks they has the right to help themselves to Your property !:-x:X
this is for them!

Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2008, 5:43 PM   #8

If it's any consolation, the shots you have are wonderful. Hope the remainder of your vacation is awesome.

Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2008, 11:33 PM   #9

Love the pictures, and at least you had the camera with you. Though definitely a tough break losing the two lenses. I agree with Goldwinger - I'd like to do the same thing to those who live off of others, stealing rather than earning.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2008, 9:37 PM   #10

Man, that sucks Paul. The shots are great though. You might check your various insurance policies as well as the credit card you purchased the lenses with. You may find that you have some kind of coverage for this theft that you are not aware of. Especially if you purchased the lenses recently, some credit cards will offer theft protection for a period of time.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote