Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 22, 2008, 5:58 PM   #1

Thinking of upgrading to K20D with PENTAX-DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 ED AL[IF]SDM and battery grip. Using reputable Internet providers I can get it all (before rebates) for about $200 less than buying local and paying tax.

Local folks claim they will help me with issues but they really seem to focus on Cannon and Nikon carrying Pentax as a added line vs a focusd Pentax dealer.

Good folks though, real nice. What did you all do?
Bowenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2008, 7:20 PM   #2

Well… long story short, I will do all my future "body" and "glass" purchases on line.
I found my "friendly" "nice guy" local dealer wasn't so nice & friendly when it comes to standing behind the lens he sold me. That plus anything you buy from the local guy, that you may have a problem with, will have to be sent back for service anyway so, I'd put the money I save towards a new lens or…
PS. I have been more than happy with B&H and Adorama.:-)

Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2008, 8:14 PM   #3

It really depends on the person as far as a local store. How long you have known this person and also what other dealings you have made with him/her as well.

I had a local supplier that did the best he could to make things right for the customer. It was above and beyond anything I ever expected or experienced and I had no qualms in spending a bit more but not $210.

If they don't really supply in the same way they supply the other makes I would steer clear.

Just my 5 cents (inflation you know).

Mahalo,

Tom
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2008, 9:06 PM   #4

I like buying big stuff from from my favourite local camera shop as they are knowledgable and do onsite repairs.

It really does depend on the quality of your local shop

Phil

philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2008, 9:18 PM   #5

Bowenp wrote:
Quote:
Thinking of upgrading to K20D with PENTAX-DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 ED AL[IF]SDM* and battery grip. Using reputable Internet providers I can get it all (before rebates) for about $200 less than buying local and paying tax.

Local folks claim they will help me with issues but they really seem to focus on Cannon and Nikon carrying Pentax as a added line vs a focusd Pentax dealer.

Good folks though, real nice.* What did you all do?
I will as the local shop offers 1 more yr of add Canadian warranty compared with what is offered at B&H. That is on top of saving shipping and return cost

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2008, 11:09 PM   #6

Local shop as a mom and pop shop, maybe if they can backup what they say.
Local shop as in Ritz/Wolf camera or other big box chain store, no.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2008, 11:12 PM   #7

Recently bought a Sigma TC from B & H. Price half the local price and service from B & H via UPS fantastic.

cheers

bb2
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2008, 11:35 PM   #8

Thanks for the feedback
Bowenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2008, 2:28 PM   #9

I've ordered all kinds of things from B&H, and from what I've seen here, Adorama is just as good. So I wouldn't hesitate to order anything from them.

On the other hand, I also really like Bel Air Camera, the camera store around the corner. I've spent quite a bit of money there, too - they've been really nice about letting me try their demo K20 and comparing it to my K10 and so on. In general, if I'm buying something new and undiscounted anywhere, I'll buy it from Bel Air (I pre-ordered the DA*50-135 from them, and got a lower pre-order price). If I ask them for service (i.e., trying out something new) and I end up buying because of that experience, I try to buy from them. But $200 difference is a bit much to pay for their (excellent) service. And when I decided to order the DA 12-24 (which the Pentax rep showed me, not the camera store), I bought it on-line.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2008, 5:41 PM   #10

well i bought my K10D with kit lens for $1000.00, knowing i was going to pay more, than if i bought it online. reason is, i wanted to make sure it was working properly before i left the U S and from my experience, sometimes itpays to pay a bit more, also most of the time you end up getting a system with less problems, when you purchase it in a store

Dave
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote