Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 23, 2008, 3:11 AM   #1

There was a 5-alarm grassfire along the ridge of San Bruno Mountain, which is about 10 minutes from SFO. Being the wannabe photojournalist, I gave my new Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 EX DC its first test run.

Best part of the experience was having to help an Olympus DSLR owner learn to use her camera. Poor thing didn't even know how to prevent the flash from going off. Also gave a positive plug for Pentax DSLRs

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2008, 9:01 AM   #2

Wow, looks like a dry hot summer out there this year!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2008, 9:10 AM   #3

Very good shot! Isn't it nice helping someone understand their camera? I have a friend who got a nice Kodak ultrazoom and was complaining about a couple of problems she was having. They turned out to be simple things and she's been delighted with the camera ever since.

Tom - it's incredibly dry this year all over California. We had a nice spring, but this past week has been very hot and all of the mountains are very brown. It's going to be a long summer.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2008, 1:48 PM   #4

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
it's incredibly dry this year all over California. We had a nice spring, but this past week has been very hot and all of the mountains are very brown. It's going to be a long summer.
Long, hot and dry, with lots of fuel from all the now dry growth resulting from the winter/spring rains. Ever wonder why so many wildfires start along roadsides? The last couple of times I was out driving around I watchedsome idiotic driversrepeatedlyflicking cigarette ashes out their windows (won't dirty their ashtrays - and they'll do the same with the still burningbutts) -- freaks me out. Makes for great photo ops, but the kind Iwould ratherdo without!
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2008, 11:16 PM   #5

Anothercommon cause of roadside brush fires, especially along the Grapevine, is people who's cars overheat. They are concerned about clearing the freeway lanes, so they pull right off the paved shoulder - onto dry grass. It's amazing how quickly a car fire or a grass fire from an overheated car can spread!

It sounds like a good portion of Northern California is on fire - enough that they issued an air quality alert for the San Joaquin Valley because of the smoke blowing in from all of the fires.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2008, 2:36 AM   #6

Another reason is the Catalytic Converters on cars get extremely hot and any dry grass that touches them will burn, so driving any vehicle over dry vegetation is not a good idea.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2008, 9:46 PM   #7

Nice composition with the fire station and fire together. Hopefully ya'll get some rain soon and things stabilize.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2008, 10:29 PM   #8

Fortunately, the fire was pretty anti-climactic. By the next afternoon, the fire was just about fully contained. The area where I live isn't hot or dry, but cold, cloudy, and sometimes humid and foggy. That cold weather really made it an easy fire to defeat.

I was still surprised that there was a grassfire around here though. In the 15 or so years I've lived in the area, not once have I seen that mountain burn.

My guess is that some punk kids were playing with fireworks around the park up there, as I don't recall there being any lightning strikes during that time.

Anyway, thanks for the comments. Feels good to finally post some new photos after a long hiatus. Now that I have a job, my photo ops will be even shorter now, though I'll probably post more LBA topics now that I'm earning money.

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2008, 2:43 AM   #9

Very scary, but great shot, we are all praying for rain.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2008, 1:58 PM   #10

There was arecord-setting dry lightning storm in Northern California a few days ago - there were at first 500 lightning-set fires reported, then 843, and this morning the total reported was 1,000! A state of emergency has been declared, the National Guard has been called out to assist overstressed firefighters who have been moved from fire to fire without rest,but there are still inadequate forces available, and many fires are burning unattended, with attention being concentrated on structure protection, while the forests are left to burn. Many of these areas are sparsely populated, and news coverage has been somewhatlacking, compared to that given the Southern California fires of the last few years. Therewas another such storm predicted, but there was hope there would be more rain with it. I haven't heard if that was the cause of the jump in the number of fires overnight, or if that storm is yet to hit. The fire season is two months early this year, and some are saying there is no longer a "fire season" - it now lasts all year! It will indeed be a long summer. Scary.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote