Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 23, 2008, 11:40 AM   #1

In a couple of weeks my wife and I will return from a cruise. The ship will dock at Port Canaveral Florida, and we expect to be off the ship by 8:30 or 9:00 a.m. We have to catch a flight leaving the Orlando airport at 4:00 that afternoon. Instead of spending the whole day sitting around the airport, we're thinking of renting a car at Port Canaveral and visiting the Merritt Island National Wildlife refuge, then continuing on the the airport. I will have my K 100 D and my wife will be equipped with her brand new K 200D. I've seen several photos from that area posted on this forum, so I'm hoping some of you are familiar with the area. I have several questions:

How long will it take to drive from Port Canaveral to the wildlife refuge across the causeway from Titusville? Are we better off to take Rte 1 or Rte 95?

What sort of wildlife are we likely to see? Most of the photos from that area that I've seen were taken during the winter months, so I'm wondering what sorts of critterswill be there in early July. We'll be viewing wildlife mostly from the roadside, since we won't have time to walk very far from the road.

How long will it take to get from Titusville to the orlando airport?

Finally, are there any "must see" areas you would recommend? I'm sorry we will only have part of a day to explore this area, but we want to make the most of it. Thanks in advance for your responses.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2008, 1:33 PM   #2

Check the Refuge website for answers to most of your questions:

http://www.fws.gov/merrittisland/
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2008, 4:55 PM   #3

Well mtnman,
Whatever you do, don't plan on seeing the space center unless you plan on spending at least $40 per person! :shock:Not worth it in my opinion. Although I think you'll enjoy the NWR, should get some great pics. I plan on going myself one of these weekends soon. Anyway, I'd say give yourself a good two hours from the time you leave Titusville for travel, parking, baggage, check in etc. the links below should help too.:bye:
Have a good time and post pics!
John
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=Titusvil le&daddr=Orlando+Int'l+Airport,+United+States& amp;sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=52.550571,112.148438&ie=UTF 8&z=11
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...=UTF8&z=14
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2008, 5:56 PM   #4

Where you get off the boat to MWR is less than 45 minutes.
It isn't really necessary to go all the way to I-95, just go up US-1.
The Cape Canaveral Space Center is really an all day affair. You can see the VAB from the causeway that takes you to the wildlife refuge.
I am not sure what will be around in the way of birds this time of year but you will definitely see some herons and egrets along with the typical ibis' and the like. Plan on taking the Blackpointe Wildlife drive twice. It is worth it.
Bring insect repellent and cold water. At the entrance, there is a small kiosk that contains maps. Stop and grab one. There is a decent restroom halfway around the drive.
If you feel adventurous, there is a 5 mile walking loop called the Cruikshank trail that is nice, too.
The trip to Orlando should be about 45 minutes max. Take I-95 south to SR-528. Take that west. This is a toll road and will cast you $1.25. Follow the signs to the airport. You can't miss it.

You can ask me more questions if this isn't enough info.

Driver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2008, 6:07 PM   #5

mtnman,
The map Goldwinger pasted isn't quite correct.
Here is the correct one.

This says about 38 minutes.
Dennis
Old Jun 24, 2008, 9:34 AM   #6

Pentola, Goldwinger, and Driver3 --

Thank youall very much for this helpful info. We're looking forward to our trip. The Cruise ship gig really isn't my preferred vacation, but it's a whole family get together to celebrate my mother's 78th birthday. When we return from the cruise, my wife and I are flying to Denver to visit with our son. We are really looking forward to spending a ferw hours exploring the Merritt Island NWR. If we had more than half a day, we might consider the Kennedy Space Center, but as it is, we'll just barely be able to peruse the wildlife refuge very quickly.

Thanks again for your help; I'll post any interesting photos we get.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2008, 6:43 PM   #7

Driver3 wrote:
Quote:
mtnman,
The map Goldwinger pasted isn't quite correct.
Here is the correct one.

This says about 38 minutes.
Dennis
hey Dennis,
when I click my link or the link you posted I get the same map...:-?
Old Jun 26, 2008, 6:09 AM   #8

Goldwinger, I don't understand that. So much for Google Maps!

I'll try to come up with another one.

Dennis
Old Jun 26, 2008, 8:23 PM   #9

Driver3 wrote:
Quote:
Goldwinger, I don't understand that. So much for Google Maps!

I'll try to come up with another one.

Dennis
Well… I think I figured out what happened, you wanted a different map to the airport, right?
You got the one to the nature reserve! Oh well, I'll bet he'll find it OK.:G

Old Jun 27, 2008, 2:51 AM   #10

Mtnman and Goldwinger,
The listed maps do not actually go to the right wildlife refuge. The one it is showing is the St. Johns River NWR. Merritt Island is actually east of Titusville.
I also think the link Penolta supplied will have maps.