Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 24, 2008, 1:01 AM   #1

Hi All,

I went out to shoot some Killdeer that I spotted (actually heard) at the hospital retention pond. As I set up, this young Great Blue Heron showed up and immediately started fishing nearby. I had the K20 with the Tamron SP300/2.8 + SP140 1.4x + P F 1.7x AFA, so I was shooting at 714mm.

. . .must be a good spot -- here only a couple of seconds, and already sighted a fish. . .

glub!

Got one, but it's a little small. . .

Alright, so much for the appetizer. . .

Glub!!

[email protected], another small one. . .

Okay, that's pretty good, but I need some real food!

GLUB!!

Now that's more like it! . . . better take it to shore, just to be safe. . .

That's what I call a meal!! . . . a little tough to swallow tho. . .

Okay. . . I'm outta here!

From the first shot in the series to swallowing the big fish (a pretty good bluegill) was about 84 seconds by the exif data. Having done a lot of C&R fishing, I was feeling pretty jealous, until he missed on the next three trys, making him .500, a much more realistic percentage. . .

I made the images a little smaller to help downloading times, I hope it wasn't still too much. . .

I got some good shots of the Killdeer too, but will post them in a separate thread.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2008, 8:00 AM   #2

What a wonderful series - three fish in under 2 minutes! And a whole series of good pictures, too. Can't ask for anything more, can you?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2008, 6:26 PM   #3

Nice going Scott!
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2008, 1:40 AM   #4

Terrific series and terrific fisher.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2008, 3:25 PM   #5

Hi Harriet, GW, and Rodney,

Thanks for taking a look and commenting.

This guy really worked fast. Either there were just a whole lot of fish, or he was just very good (or just lucky) -- I'll go with good -- I've seen a lot of GBHs fishing, and they always seem to catch a high percentage.

Each time I was wanting to chimp the last shot just to make sure they were exposed decently, I noticed that the GBH was setting up for another lunge, so I kept my eye to the VF and stayed ready to shoot. I guess that some would say that's the advantage of an Electronic VF (as you can review the shot without moving your eye from it, but I'll take the SLR's optical VF any day -- with the delay of an EVF, I never would've had a chance of timing the lunges even close -- one of the main reasons I'm not still shooting my birds with the FZ30.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2008, 10:36 PM   #6

It did take me a while to get used to having an optical viewfinder - I got really used to the EVF on the F717. But once I got better about judging expose, I've found it much better, especially with manual focus.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2008, 5:59 AM   #7

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi All,

I went out to shoot some Killdeer that I spotted (actually heard) at the hospital retention pond. As I set up, this young Great Blue Heron showed up and immediately started fishing nearby. I had the K20 with the Tamron SP300/2.8 + SP140 1.4x + P F 1.7x AFA, so I was shooting at 714mm.

Scott
Scott

Your long lens combo is so effective at the distance yu want . Who else don't? Best of old lens combined with new tech?
GBH are quite patient when you can catch them hunting or waiting for fish to pass by before spearing them. Nice catch

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote