Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 24, 2008, 2:17 AM   #1

Hi All,

Here's the Killdeer that I was looking for when the GBH showed up. . .

They're pretty common, but I don't really see too many around here, even if they are pretty acclimated to living around people. They are pretty hard to get close to tho. . . but they usually run away rather than fly, so it's like they are egging you on to keep following them. . .

There were 6 of them in the area, but I don't think they've nested yet, as none of them did the broken wing thing to lure me away from the nest when I approached closer.

Here's a good example of how they can nest on open ground. It was about 20 ft in front of me, and if it hadn't moved (and called out), I wouldn't have see it.

Hopefully they'll stick around and nest here -- I'd like to get some shots of the "broken wing" act. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2008, 9:04 AM   #2

They are such interesting birds, and you are right about them being sometimes hard to spot. I actually watched one try the broken wing and I could hear the babies (they sounded close to where I was) but I couldn't see the nest anywhere. I was really too far away from the one who was trying the broken wing act to get pictures, and was really too interested in what was going on (I had no idea what I was looking at). I'll be better organized if I see them this year.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2008, 7:21 PM   #3

nice shots, I remember the first time I saw that broken wing stunt. I fell for it but, I was 10 years old and didn't know any better.:lol:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2008, 2:39 AM   #4

Nice shots, well tracked and captured.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2008, 4:33 PM   #5

Hi Harriet, GW, and Rodney,

Thanks for the look and comments.

I've seen Killdeer at a couple of places in my area, but never so near to where I live. I've only seen the broken wing thing once, but I never found the nest then, so I'm hoping to be able to do it this time, if they stick around and nest here. I think it's a pretty good bet since there were 6 of them that I've seen for a couple of days now.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote