Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 29, 2008, 11:13 PM   #1

I'm not quite done with the round topic. Thought I'd round out my collection by a series that has nothing to do with puns, but something to do with a particular round object. It's not a rubber ball - I guess you would call it an architectural feature or something like that. It's more abstract than my usual thing, but I rather like them, and thought each of the pictures is so different, even though it's the same object, just taken from different locations. I'd love to know what others think of the series.

#1:

As the third picture shows, access is limited to walkways and there's only a couple of angles and spots to photograph it from. All of these 3 pictures have had a certain amount of cloning done to them, to reduce some distracting elements.

This 4th one will give you an idea of what I cloned out in the third one. It's basically untouched other than to have been resized.

I'm always open for suggestions to improve them - abstracts and graphic arts aren't my usual pictures, and I don't really have a particularly good feel for them.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2008, 12:24 AM   #2

They all look fabulous, the 3rd one is my favourite, you did very well with the clone, if you had not said anything I would never have guessed.

Rodney
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2008, 12:18 AM   #3

I like #2 the best although if the ball were a bit bigger I think I would like #3. Color is nice with good exposure and the cloning job was well done.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2008, 9:06 AM   #4

This is getting interesting - I liked the first one a bit better than the others. The series appealed to me because it was an interesting example of perspective and framing. In the first one the ball is mostly abstract, a play on color, mostlyand some play on shape. The second one is more a play on shape - the round ball against the walls. I thought about cloning out the trees, but decided against it - they aren't that distracting. The third one was taken not that far from the first two (the spot is fairly cramped) and it was interesting to see the ball fade into smallness with the 12-24mm lens - an example of how things get small quickly with a wide angle. Also, the round vs straight lines was kind of interesting, too.

They are all so different in feel, at least to me. They are all of the same subject, all taken within yards of each other, but the different framing and angles make such different pictures. It's very interesting to see which ones appeal to others, too. Amazing what you can do with photography.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 2:43 PM   #5

Very intriguing Harriet,
Can't make up my mind on a favorite, I like them all.
Do you have access at night? Would love to see some shots with the sphere light up.:idea:
-John
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2008, 3:23 PM   #6

Nighttime is a great idea - there are lights at the base of the ball (which I cloned out - they were very distracting in the first two pictures). It'll have to wait until fall or winter, when the days are shorter, and I don't know if the lights would be on early in the morning (when I'm here before dawn).
Old Jul 1, 2008, 9:00 PM   #7

H Harriet,

I like #1 firstly because of its simplicity and then then the reflection in the window. But then the sharp shapes and the contrast in colour(color to some) and different textures in the ball & the sky are a real eye catcher to me in #2.

I'm no expert, just my thoughts.

Thanks for the post.

Simon
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2008, 10:19 PM   #8

i like 1 too

very simple and effective

i personally like it better with the white bit at the botom trimmed off
i find the white distracting and looses the impaxct of the colour

i can see this being a great subject for the Pentax 10-17 fisheye lens
hehehehehe
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2008, 11:26 PM   #9

I was thinking I couldn't crop anything more off the bottom without losing the bottom part of the window, but when scrolling back up, I think I can see how it would work well. Thanks for the suggestion on it.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 11:35 PM   #10

I think for this type of photo, simplicity should prevail. I suspect this is what the architect had in mind. I'm drawn to #1 and #3. There are no familiar distractions like trees and other buildings. #1 is also effective with the reflection of the sphere in the window. Nice work.

I think someone should cut down all the trees in the background of #2; something like this:
Attached Images

a200user is offline   Reply With Quote