Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 30, 2008, 9:36 PM   #1

Okay... I've been bugging you guys on and off for the past few weeks. Now I'm going to make up my mind and buy my long-awaited DSLR by the end of the July 4th weekend. I would still love a K20D and I am still crunching the numbers. But if it turns out that I just can't swing that camera along with the lenses I want, what's the better plan B? A K200D or a leftover K10D?

Please understand I'm not playing the "compare the specs" game. I'm looking for anyone with considerable knowledge of and/or personal experience with these cameras. I can tell you this much: The K20D/K10D is a perfect match for me ergonomically. But the K200D isn't far behind and I could be happy with it if there was some other reason to opt for it over the K10D - like image quality, reliability, etc.

I am an amateur photographer with a good amount of film SLR experience. I like to shoot everything from auto racing and football to wildlife, landscapes and auto shows. I am not necessarily a pixel-peeper. I am more concerned with real-world results. I'll admit, however, that I did read the DP review of the K10D that was pretty positive - with one exception. It pointed out a certain edge-softness (while still retaining good detail) to the K10D's images in very large (larger than A3) prints and enlargements. Has anyone noticed this - or know if the K200D is any better in this respect?

Either way, I think I'll skip the kit lens, buy the body only and pair whatever camera I buy with the Pentax 16-50mm f/2.8 and the 50-135mm f/2.8 lenses. Longer zooms or primes can come later.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2008, 10:55 PM   #2

I haven't handled the K200, but I own the K100, recently sold a K10 and currently have a K20.

I shot raw almost exclusively when I had the K10 and never noticed any particular edge softness that wasn't easily corrected/adjusted by software. I actually preferred to do it myself since I could control how much sharpness there was - you can always add sharpening, but you can't remove sharpening if there's too much. I think they've changed the way the camera processes jpgs so there's probably some differences if you are shooting jpg.

One reason to get the K10 is that it has more controls at your fingertips, including the second wheel for adjusting things, a lever to switch metering modes rather than going into a menu. There's another lever for changing focus points, another thing that you have to change in a menu on the K200.

K200 has scene modes while the K10 does not - I never bother with scene modes, but others might find them useful.

K10 has TAv which did not get picked up on the K200. This mode lets you specify the aperture and shutter speed while the camera chooses an appropriate ISO for that set combination. I find it useful but not enough to base a camera purchase on it.

My K10 had some auto focus issues, while the K20 does not. It seems like the K20 focuses a bit faster than my K10, and I think the K200 would be the same, most likely better than the K10.

I'm not sure if the K200 picks up the hyper-program abilities of the K10 and K20, since it only has the one adjustment wheel. With the other two cameras, you can have the camera in P mode, then use one or the other wheels to change aperture or shutter speed - the camera automatically shifts to Av or Tv mode as appropriate. That's nice to have with the A*300 lens- occasionally the camera will want to set a slower shutter speed than I want, so it's nice to be able to specify a faster shutter speed with a flick of the finger, without having to change modes.

So it comes down to all of the better controls the K10 has over the K200, vs. better AF (possibly), possibly better jpg processing on the K200. Both use the same sensor, so the differences would probably be only noticeable if you were shooting jpg. If you shoot raw, there probably wouldn't be much difference. I'm not sure which way I would go in your shoes (other than seeing if I could affford the K20) - would I want the controls on the camera body enough to give up the possible better AF? There are many K10's out there that don't have the trouble mine did (it was worst with the 50-135, a lens that more or less lives on the K20 now).

Normally I recommend getting the kit lens because it costs so little and is reasonable quality. But in your case, it would be silly, since you are planning on getting a much faster, higher quality lens that covers the same reach.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2008, 11:54 PM   #3

If your main shooting; racing, football, moving animals, etc, needs a quick shutter release I would be wary of the K10. All I have is a DL so I can't speak specifically about the three you are interested in butaccording to all the reviews and the posts on this forum, until the K20 I don't think any of the Pentax cameras will get you what you want in that area. The picture below is an example. I manually focused on this guy and then waited until I saw him beginto step into hisswing. I fired and as you can see by the time the shutter released he is well into his swing. It can work, but it is a guess, needing a bit of luck when dealing with such short times. Perhaps there are some K20 and K200 users who could speak to this subject concerning their sports results. It could be the DL,whichis the bottom of the Pentax line,is way slower than the rest.

Glenn

Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2008, 7:29 AM   #4

Biro wrote:
Quote:
Okay... I've been bugging you guys on and off for the past few weeks. Now I'm going to make up my mind and buy my long-awaited DSLR by the end of the July 4th weekend. I would still love a K20D and I am still crunching the numbers. But if it turns out that I just can't swing that camera along with the lenses I want, what's the better plan B? A K200D or a leftover K10D?

Please understand I'm not playing the "compare the specs" game. I'm looking for anyone with considerable knowledge of and/or personal experience with these cameras. I can tell you this much: The K20D/K10D is a perfect match for me ergonomically. But the K200D isn't far behind and I could be happy with it if there was some other reason to opt for it over the K10D - like image quality, reliability, etc.

I am an amateur photographer with a good amount of film SLR experience. I like to shoot everything from auto racing and football to wildlife, landscapes and auto shows. I am not necessarily a pixel-peeper. I am more concerned with real-world results. I'll admit, however, that I did read the DP review of the K10D that was pretty positive - with one exception. It pointed out a certain edge-softness (while still retaining good detail) to the K10D's images in very large (larger than A3) prints and enlargements. Has anyone noticed this - or know if the K200D is any better in this respect?

Either way, I think I'll skip the kit lens, buy the body only and pair whatever camera I buy with the Pentax 16-50mm f/2.8 and the 50-135mm f/2.8 lenses. Longer zooms or primes can come later.
I have the Ist DS & the K10d-incredible difference in the focusing speed. My K10d is fast enough for me and has never let me down. Right now B&H has the K20 body for $1000 (after rebate) which appears to be a good deal. Even though the dollar is weak camera prices might drop-people have to fill up their cars before buying new equipment. Just my 2 cents worth. K10d with DA 55-300-no PP except cropping-Jpeg

DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2008, 5:57 PM   #5

I have a DS and a K10D and I have no problems with any sort of shutter lag on either camera.
In any sports situation ther is some degree of anticipation required an dthis varies from sport to sport. Bit of practice is usualy requifed.

The K10D is bit noisier than the DS so if low light shots are important then teh K20d is the way to go.

But if you are on tight budget the K10D is still a fine camera. Apparently early production models had some problems, but mine is one of the last and so far has worked perfectly.

Here is sports shot and I got the ball disturbing the stumps (the wooden bits) which is the "decisive moment ".

Phil
Attached Images

philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2008, 7:38 PM   #6

HOWSZAT!!

(Sorry to non cricket people!)

Nice capture.

Simon
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote