Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 2, 2008, 9:14 AM   #1

Finally bck from a wonderufl trip to Hawaii. Even though the theft of my camera bag with three lenses in it put a crimp in my shooting, I still had my camera, the Pentax DA*50-135 and a Sigma 28mm f1.8, and I came back with more than 2500 memories. One of the best, and most exhausting,days was spent in Pearl Harbor. For anyone contemplating a trip to Pearl, the visit to the USS Arizona memorial is a sobering and memorable experience. As we approach Independence Day, I was struck by this view of the flag through the top of the memorial.

Inside the memorial are inscribed the names of each of those entombed with the Arizona, but it was a similar inscription at a lesser-known memorial in the park that had special meaning to me.

Thomas Wilson Griffin was my great uncle. lost when the Sea Robin came under attack in 1944, and was the man in whose honor my parents chose my middle name. This plaque is a part of a memorial to those who lost their lives in the submarine service in World War II and is on the grounds of the USS Bowfin, a WWII sub which has been restored. Touring it was impressive, and not-even a wide-angle lens was enough to easily squeeze a fat man through the tiny bulkheads (My son threatened blackmail with this shot)

Amazing how men could live and fight for months at a time in such cramped quarters. Easily the most imposing of the Pearl Harbor displays was the battleship USS Missouri

It's fitting that the ship on which the Japanese surrender was signed finds its permanent home in the harbor in which the was in the Pacific had its start for the United States. The day of the great battleships has passed, but you can't replace the awe of her mighty guns.

Final sto[ of the day was the Pacific Aviation Museum, a smaller musem that does has some impressive exhibits, including a Japanese Mitsubishi Zero

Hope you enjoy,

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2008, 11:58 AM   #2

Nice shots Paul,

I have been to the Arizona Memorial many, many times. It has been a field trip I enjoyed when I was in Elementary School. In fact, I attended Pearl Harbor Elementary School.

It has been since removed many years ago but they used to have a display of the frogmen's suits and masks that had attempted a rescue the men that are still down there. Someone hit a gasline and well unfortunately, I believe seven were killed. The display was taken down due to deterioration. I have seen oil continue to come up to the surface after 45 plus years. As you can see it has been 22 years since I last visited. The painting on the wall of the bombing of the Arizona had me in awe and seeing all those names did the same.

Thanks for sharing that. By the way my Grandfather was a longshoreman also known as a "stevedore". He was working that day but not at Pearl, but remembering hitting the water when "all heck broke loose" as he put it.

In 68-69, the filming of Tora, Tora, Tora was being conducted and my Dad took many shots of some of the flying scenes and we used to jump in our seats as the bombs were exploding for the film when we were in school.

Mahalo for posting,

Tom

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2008, 12:08 PM   #3

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
I have seen oil continue to come up to the surface after 45 plus years. As you can see it has been 22 years since I last visited. The painting on the wall of the bombing of the Arizona had me in awe and seeing all those names did the same.
Tom, the oil continues to seep (I got a photo of it, but the definition was not good.) The recorded tour nots that the slight oil seepage is sometimes referred to as "tears of the men who are entombed." It's a really impressive sight.

Mahalo,

Paul
Old Jul 2, 2008, 12:31 PM   #4

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Great photolog Paul. The compositions shown here are outstanding! The colors are also fantastic...were you using a polarizing filter? The K20D and DA *50-135 make a unbeatable combo!

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2008, 1:17 PM   #5

Thanks, Jay. I was not using a polarizing filter (it was in the bag that got stolen). However, I agree about the combo of the K20 and the 50-135. If I knew I had to work with only one lens with this camera, no question the DA*50-135 would be the one I would choose. I'm just glad that was the combo I had with me when the bag was stolen.

The Sigma 28mm was used on the shot of me coming through the sub bulkhead and the Japanese Zero. I was also impressed by the work it did. I had not used it as frequently, and in fact had left it at my son's house because I didn't anticipate using it, when the bag was stolen.

Paul
Old Jul 3, 2008, 9:09 AM   #6

I was there about a year ago and your pictures really bring me back. These were great and it sounds like Pearl Harbor had a similar impact on you as it did on me.

It's too bad your polarizer was taken b/c it really made the difference on some of the "underwater" shots. However, I'd trade my CP filter for the 50-135 any day.
jerkules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2008, 1:12 AM   #7

Impressive, Paul. Excellent shots and an even better story. Thanks.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2008, 12:36 PM   #8

Hi Paul,

A week ago today, I pulled in to Pearl Harbor on board the USS BonHomme Richard (LHD6) an Amphibious Assault Ship (helicopter carrier). As we passed the USS Arizona memorial we rendered passing honors.

I was only in Hawaii for a day, so I was not really able to get back to see the Arizona Memorial - next time. Your pictures are wonderful!!!
Attached Images

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2008, 12:46 PM   #9

We also featured a rather unique hood ornament on the bow of the ship, when we pulled in. We delivered the last Navy fighter to the Air Museum that I believe you visited for a new exhibit. I think that this was the first, last and only time that a helicopter carrier had a F-14 on board.

http://www.lhd6.navy.mil/Files/stories/F14.html

Attached Images

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2008, 1:57 PM   #10

Great posting, Paul. Until you have been there, and seen the oil bubbling up, and heard the wind whistling through the memorial, you can't even imagine the "spooky" feeling that you get. I served in the Navy from 1964 - 1968, ( 2 westpac cruises aboard the USS Oriskany, CVA-34), and was in Pearl Harbor a number of time (and went back 5 or 6 times working for the Army and Navy), and it is impressive every single time.

@interested_observer: Interesting name for your ship. If my quickly fading memory serves me correctly, there was also a carrier named the Bon Homme Richard. I wonder if if was converted into a helicopter carrier.
tsquare is offline   Reply With Quote