Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 2, 2008, 12:03 PM   #1

Found this one before the sun was really up. I've taken some pics of Hummingbird Moths in the past, but they usually fly off as soon as they notice you. This one let me shoot for quite a while before flying off. K10D with Tamron 90mm f/2.8, onboard flash.

Then on to Minneopa State park near Mankato, MN. These are shots of the lower falls. K10D with SMC M 28mm f/2.8.

Rickst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2008, 12:09 PM   #2

You DID have a great morning. The hummingbird moth shots are truly outstanding.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2008, 12:34 PM   #3

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Very nice indeed. The close ups of the moth's shows amazing detail. And the shots of the water n motion is very dramatic!

jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2008, 1:30 PM   #4

Well captured, especially the last one with the moth hovering with it's long 'tongue' or, should I say, proboscis extended to extract the nectar from the flower.
IntrepidWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2008, 7:09 PM   #5

Super captures -- well done, indeed! The only ones I have ever seen never stuck around long enough to even grab a camera.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2008, 8:23 PM   #6

That's kind of a funny part of the story here. I parked my car about 100 feet from where I found the moth, and I was just walking a bit to see what was around--my camera was back in the car. I saw the moth and watched for 30 seconds or so, positive that if I went back for my camera, it would be gone when I got back. Anyway, I decided to get the camera. I walked 100 feet to my car, got the camera out, formatted the card, turned off the 2 second time and popped the flash up. When I got back to the spot I was amazed to find the moth still there. I took pictures for about a minute and a half before it flew off.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 9:13 PM   #7

Great shots Rick. I tried to view the EXIF data and came up with zilch. I'm interested to know Aperature and shutter speed onyour last water fall photo.Did you use a tripod? I likethis effect better than the second one with the faster shutter.

Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2008, 10:59 PM   #8

Wonderful, early morning pictures! The moth is outstanding, and I always love waterfalls.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2008, 2:52 AM   #9

Good Morning ? Terrific Morning, that moth is so sharp, I love my Tamron SP AF90mm F/2.8 (Di) Macro too.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2008, 8:45 AM   #10

a200user wrote:
Quote:
Great shots Rick. I tried to view the EXIF data and came up with zilch. I'm interested to know Aperature and shutter speed onyour last water fall photo.Did you use a tripod? I likethis effect better than the second one with the faster shutter.

Jim
There isn't EXIF data because it was a Manual lens. As close as I can remember my settings were f22 and 1/6 sec. shutter speed