Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 2, 2008, 6:43 PM   #1

I just want to thank everyone on the Pentax board for the feedback and guidance as I shopped for a DSLR. You were all a big help and it was great making some online friends.

Now, I feel a bit sheepish here because I made a totally unexpected purchase. While looking at the Pentax K20D and Olympus E-520, the salesman asked me ifI would consider a closeout model - actually a demo model that hadn't seen much demo-ing. I asked him what he had in mind. That's when he pulledout a box with a Nikon D200 kit inside. Camera body and the 18-200mm lens. Both plus a two-year Mac warranty (since technically it's used) for $1200. It was just too good a deal to pass up - since the K20D with the 16-50 and 50-135 f/2.8 lenses would run over $2000.

I'm kind of floored - I've never owned a Nikon before andthis camera was never on my list for a variety of reasons. This will be interesting. The D200 is an impressive piece - but we'll see ifI really like it.I certainly have enough film SLR experience to use it and I liked handling it in the store. But we'll see if the "joy" is there asI use it on a daily basis. Already,I have plans to add a Tokina 16-50 f/2.8 lens for close/dark work. And that's really aPentax these days. Plus I promise to use only Hoya filters.

Meanwhile, I expect to check back in periodically. This is one friendly forum. Thank you again.

Steve Biro

Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2008, 7:01 PM   #2

Yeah, OK Traitor! You just go ahead with your ol' Nikon who cares anyway who needs ya, ya little rat…
Oh wait; did I say that out loud? What I meant was, congratulations my friend, that's a fine camera! I hope you stumble into the lake and drown with that cheap 200mm lens hanging around your neck… I mean, you should get some great shots with that gear!:blah::lol:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2008, 8:24 PM   #3

LOL! I was kind of saying that to myself!:-)
Old Jul 2, 2008, 9:09 PM   #4

Biro wrote:
Quote:
LOL! I was kind of saying that to myself!:-)
Naw, we not sore, were all good people on this forum! ya got to do whats best for you, and everyone understands, I do wish you well.
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2008, 9:14 PM   #5

The D200 is definitely an outstanding camera - the biggest gripe I had about it is weight, size and cost. You managed the cost very nicely, and if you don't mind the size and weight, then you should be set. Good luck with it and have a great time taking awesome pictures.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2008, 1:32 AM   #6

Have a great time with it. You will like it I know!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2008, 1:13 PM   #7

Thanks for the good wishes. Mtngal, we'll see. If size and weight become a problem, I could be back in the Pentax camp.Just because I can use a Nikon D200 doesn't necessarily mean I'll want to in the long run. I've never been a copycat or fanboy. But it certainly seems, especially for the price, that this is something worth trying.In 30-plus years of photography, Nikon is the only major brand of SLR that I've never owned. So this should be an interesting experience and I plan to be honest with myself. Nonetheless, I expect I'll still be checking in fairly often.
Old Jul 4, 2008, 1:59 PM   #8

You got a great deal there. I have two D200 bodies with the grip on each one. I have been quite happy with the results and it can be a pain, I will admit to lug it around. I do like the results so the weight at least for me is not an issue and I do find I can keep a steadier hand in the shots I take. I don't use the VR much but will in the case of low light. It does work.

Have fun with it. It will take some time for you to learn your way around this camera but the ability to tweak it to your liking is fun to learn and when the results come you will find it hard to beat.

Mahalo,

Tom
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote