Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 5, 2008, 11:58 PM   #1

After letting the K20d sit so long it filed for a trial separation, I took Monday off from work and did a little hiking at the local biological research station. I can tell I have an office job now, three hours in the FL sun left me a little light headed after I cooled of in the A/C.It was a worthwhile expedition though as I found a very cooperative red shouldered hawk and some interesting insects I had not yet photographed. All the recent macro posts prodded me to actually sit down and do some post processing this weekend and I wanted to share a few shots.

Robberfly (at least that is what I think this is):

Katydid on Dayflower:

I was trying to get a shot of a mushroom when I found this guy hiding under the leaf litter:

I got several good shots of this, but I have not figured out what it is yet:

Either he is surrendering or someone scored a touchdown:

Dunno what this is either. If no one has discovered it yet do I get to name it?

One of my better "bug in flight" efforts:

I had both the K100d and the K20d with me but these should all be the K100d and Kiron 105mm macro.

Thanks for looking,
Tim

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2008, 12:17 AM   #2

These are wonderful! I don't know one insect from another, but sure like your pictures. I love the green wing (it looks like it's all wing, not much else).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2008, 12:43 AM   #3

Tim, these are great!

I thinkthe hairy cheerleaderyou wondered about may bea Scoliid wasp (their larvae are parasitic on the larvae of Scarab beetles). Your "new species" is a Flatid leafhopper - there is one species in Florida that is commonly found on palms and palmettos, so this may be that one -- as I remember there were a lot pf palmettos on the Archbold Station, where I assume you were, and your background looks like it might be one, too (that is onereally neatpicture).
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2008, 1:01 AM   #4

Fantastic detail in the first one, but all of them are great.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2008, 2:10 PM   #5

Great shots.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2008, 2:17 PM   #6

Very nice. Although, you can keep the hairy legged ones. They give me the creeps.:lol:

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2008, 3:36 PM   #7

penolta wrote:
Quote:
Tim, these are great!

I thinkthe hairy cheerleaderyou wondered about may bea Scoliid wasp (their larvae are parasitic on the larvae of Scarab beetles). Your "new species" is a Flatid leafhopper - there is one species in Florida that is commonly found on palms and palmettos, so this may be that one -- as I remember there were a lot pf palmettos on the Archbold Station, where I assume you were, and your background looks like it might be one, too (that is onereally neatpicture).

Thanks for the ID Penolta! With that head start I think I have the scoliid wasp narrowed down to Campsomeris and the leaf hopper narrowed down to Ormenaria rufifascia. The more I photograph living things the more I want to learn about them. I think some field guides will go on my birthday list beside my lens wish list. Oh, and yes, you are right, I was at Archbold and the leaf hopper was hanging on the underside of a Palmetto.

Harriet, Ira, Rodney and Patty, thank you also for looking and commenting. I agree with you Patty, that Robber Fly is pug ugly. When I was trying to figure out what it was I googled hunchbacked mutant dragonfly with beard! :-)

Tim

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2008, 9:04 PM   #8

d&#m you tim!! you've really got these down.. you learned too fast and and you're really getting very good. but???????????
try getting that robber fly with dinner..

fantastic shots!!! you sure are better than before..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2008, 1:10 PM   #9

robar wrote:
Quote:
d&#m you tim!! you've really got these down.. you learned too fast and and you're really getting very good. but???????????
try getting that robber fly with dinner..

fantastic shots!!! you sure are better than before..

roy
Standards are steadily increasing on these forums - it is getting hard to keep up. :whack:
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote