Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 20, 2008, 6:52 PM   #41

docP,
you say it's a mix.. are these a hybrid that breeds?? i've looked in my book to no avail. they are definitely quite tame and i have no idea how they got here.
links to breed????

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2008, 7:30 PM   #42

robar wrote:
Quote:
docP,
you say it's a mix.. are these a hybrid that breeds?? i've looked in my book to no avail. they are definitely quite tame and i have no idea how they got here.
links to breed????

roy
Roy, Muscovys are native to South America, but have been domesticated just as Mallards have been. Wild Mallards cross freely with the white domestic variety (Pekins, or "Peking Ducks") and produce all sorts of weird mixes (they also cross with other kinds of wild ducks, too), which I facetiously call "Mostly Mallards." Similarly, wild type (black) Muscovys have mixed with domestic ones (white), also producing various patterns. Domestic ducks are regularly "dumped" by people who have kept them as pets, or gotten them as ducklings at Easter, and when they are no longer "cute," tire of them and turn them loose in any convenient lake. White ducks with yellow bills are Pekins (domestic Mallards), and white ducks with red faces (like turkeys) are domestic Muscovys.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2008, 7:36 PM   #43

thanks P,
no wonder i couldn't place it in my book. i'll post about it in the other thread i started as i have more questions..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2008, 8:18 PM   #44

Thanks, Penolta, for the information on the ducks. I think the one that kept laying eggs in our ivy in Texas would have fallen into the category of "Mostly Mallard."

Do turkeys do the same thing? I was told that the flock of turkeys that lived in the valley started out as 6 - 3 white domestic turkeys and 3 brown wild turkeys. After several generations of mixed coloring they became all brown.

This topic is certainly taking some odd twists and turns (and now that I'm home, I'll have to look for some opportunities around here).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2008, 11:37 PM   #45

This is a very interesting topic because it is open to so many types of shots. It will be difficult to judge, not only because there are so many good pictures, but because of the variety. Here's my entry. We were playing cards last night and decided to break out the Rook cards. This picture of my mother-in-laws "hand" caught my attention.
Glenn

Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2008, 8:01 AM   #46

Glenn - I really love this shot, so simple and yet very interesting. Definitely fits the topic!
Old Jul 24, 2008, 8:23 PM   #47

I had the idea to photograph something in my wife's garden - flower or vegetable. I took 2 steps from my back door and saw this on the lawn. Didn't make it to the garden.
Dan
Attached Images

No_Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2008, 8:41 PM   #48

This is such an interesting topic that can be viewed and interpreted in so many different ways. This shows in the variety of shots this month so far. For me, Home can mean many different things, however no matter what county, state, or country I am in, when I see this sight, I know I am in my comfort zone.

As a side note, this is one of 2 recent ppg accepted shots

As always, thanks for looking!
Attached Images

PanagiotisDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2008, 10:03 PM   #49

Dan - now that's my kind of picture! I love dew/raindrops on spiderwebs and you even got the spider, too!
Old Jul 25, 2008, 1:20 AM   #50
PDL

My entry for the month. The door on our shed in the back yard. I have been shooting this thing for a long time now, and I am convinced that there is a really nice image hidden in there somewhere.

Data in the EXIF.

PDL
PDL is offline   Reply With Quote