Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 9, 2008, 7:50 AM   #1

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Spent the July 4th weekend in Pittsbugh, PA. Great town to photograph: lots of hills, rivers, bridges and an attractive skyline and other attractions. The following were shot with the DL and kit lens.

Cloudy weather; handheld while aboard a riverboat cruise.

Heinz Chapel on the campus of the University of Pittsburgh

Skyline (and Incline) photographed from Mt. Washington

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2008, 7:57 AM   #2

Nice images.

Whilst modern buildings have an immediate impact given their size & 'clean' lines, the architecture of the chapel takes some beating.
IntrepidWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 7:54 PM   #3

The incline shot is especially nice, the composition with the bridge in the mid-background and the city far-back is well thought out. My only critique would be the steeple on the church being slightly cut off.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 10:32 PM   #4

I love the first shot - it's got lovely colors with the city-scape. I hadn't noticed that the steeple had been cut off until Tim mentioned it, and then my first thought was how I could have missed it. It probably would have worked better as a vertical shot instead of horizontal. On the other hand, the building is very interesting.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 7:04 AM   #5

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Tim: Thanks for pointing out the cut off steeple. Similar to mtgal, I nver noticed it until you pointed it out! As for the cityscape with the incline, once again, until you pointed out the bridge in the mid-ground, I did not notice the impact to the composition. I only intended to capture the incline car in the foreground and the skyline in the background. Good lesson in compositioin; and I need to train my eye to see what the lens sees!

Harriett: I took a couple of vertical shots of the chapel--but they looked so ordinary. I tried framing this shot with the shruberry and tree branches in the foreground to add some character. Of course thanks to Tim, now all I see is the lopped off steeple:lol:! It also appears that the shot requires some straightening. However, I think that is more lens distortion since the horizontals apear horizontal, but the verticals seem a bit off. I'll try to correct that with some additional PP. Picky..Picky..Picky!!

J
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 9:09 AM   #6

LOL! You can't please everyone with your shots and there's no right answer, either. I know what you mean about a certain shot looking "ordinary" - but sometimes that's only in the eyes of the beholder. We've got a trip planned this summer and I've been thinking of ways to avoid "ordinary" as in "too often photographed" but still capture what is a pretty location. Haven't figured it out yet, but we'll see.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 9:21 PM   #7

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
Of course thanks to Tim, now all I see is the lopped off steeple:lol:!
Sorry :-)! I too have some shots in which I now only notice the flaws that someone else pointed out. Part of our mutual learning endevour I guess. I am surprised that the bridge shot was happy happenstance, but, however it happened, I really like the composition on it and I am not particularly fond of cities to begin with.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote