Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 11, 2008, 9:55 PM   #1

I have been trying to enlarge wildlife pictures I took in Alaska with my Pentax K200d. I can digitaly enlarge them in the camera, but I can not find a way to save the enlarged picture.

I tried enlarging them in the Pentax photo browser software, but when I used save or save as, it created another thumbnail the same size as the original. I did not see anything in the manual that came with the software.

How can you enlarge a picture and save it to your hard drive?

Jack
jack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2008, 10:30 PM   #2

Hey Jack,
When you off load the images from your camera onto your computer, they are full size files, and will open in the proper viewer at full screen image size and you should be able to zoom in to the actual image size, which will look huge on the computer. I'm not sure what software your using but try double clicking on one of your thumbnails and see if it doesn't open in a larger window.
-John

BTW, welcome to the forum! be sure to share some pics with us,:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2008, 10:44 PM   #3

As Goldwinger said, the camera only downloads full size pics. I don't know what software you are using. I find Picasa (free from Google) to be the best photo library software I have found and I highly recommend it. For editing Photoshop is the gold standard but Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop Elements may meet all of your needs for a fraction of the cost.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 12:03 AM   #4

The Pentax software basically only shows athumbnail of the picture - it's useful for looking at your pictures and seeing all of the camera settings. If you want to see what the pictures look like full screen, or want to change them in some way, you'll need to use a different program.

I happen to like using Lightroom. You can download a trial version of the software from Adobe to see if you'd like it or not (people either really like it or hate it). It is great for certain things, but doesn't do everything that other graphics programs can do. But it's a nice photo organizer, can do a number of manipulations and they are just commands - it doesn't change the file. There are things it can't do so it isn't a complete answer to all of your graphics needs.

If you happen to have Microsoft Office, there's a photo manager program that comes with it, Office Picture Manager. It's good for reviewing pictures, you can look at them full sized, full screen or various percentages in between. It has the ability to do some adjustments to your file, but it's very heavy-handed about things. I've never been pleased when I've tried to adjust contrast or resize pictures with it. It's a program to use if you already happen to have it on your computer, but I wouldn't buy Office just to get it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 3:22 PM   #5

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
If you happen to have Microsoft Office, there's a photo manager program that comes with it, Office Picture Manager. It's good for reviewing pictures, you can look at them full sized, full screen or various percentages in between. It has the ability to do some adjustments to your file, but it's very heavy-handed about things. I've never been pleased when I've tried to adjust contrast or resize pictures with it. It's a program to use if you already happen to have it on your computer, but I wouldn't buy Office just to get it.
yeah, it's ok for viewing but that's all.. personaly, i use photoshop for editing but use Irfanview forviewing.. paint shop pro is an excellent program and will do all you want. the learning curve is steep as with any full fledged graphics program but at a reasonable cost.
for free??? try the gimp, gimpshop, paint.net are all very good free programs..

also, welcome to the board.
you''ll find answers here..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 6:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Irfanview forviewing
Personally, IMHO, you can't beat ACDSee v5 as a simple graphics viewer.

Photoshop is the bees knees for graphics editing but takes some getting used to.
IntrepidWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 11:45 PM   #7

Welcome to the forum, Jack. You'll get lots of good advice here. We're a friendly group.

Harriet - on the Office Picture Manager, which version of Office do you need to have? I have 97 and 2000 and don't think I've ever seen that. That's one thing I'm always wanting is to be able to get the thumbnails just a tad larger for selecting photos from. I can make thema little larger in the Pentax Browser, but not enough. And, I don't believe the Organizer in PSE5 will preview RAW files. Now that I think of it, Office PM might not either. Maybe never mind where I was going with this!

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2008, 5:24 AM   #8

Hi Jack,

Well you've got some good advice already, I'll add anotherviewer that you may like, It's called XNView, you'll find it via google and it's a free download. Welcome to the board also from a namesake. ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2008, 8:28 AM   #9

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
Welcome to the forum, Jack. You'll get lots of good advice here. We're a friendly group.

Harriet - on the Office Picture Manager, which version of Office do you need to have? I have 97 and 2000 and don't think I've ever seen that. That's one thing I'm always wanting is to be able to get the thumbnails just a tad larger for selecting photos from. I can make thema little larger in the Pentax Browser, but not enough. And, I don't believe the Organizer in PSE5 will preview RAW files. Now that I think of it, Office PM might not either. Maybe never mind where I was going with this!

Patty
Hi Patty

I Know that Its in Office Professional 2003. Thats what we use at Work. I cannot say about Office 2007. That may just Be part of the professional Pkg. I have Office 2007 here, but its the student and teacher edition and its not included as far as i can tell. My Sons School requires that they have this version, so It is compatible with what they use at School. Hence its on My PC

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2008, 3:14 PM   #10

Thanks for the replies.

Tim, I downloaded ther Picasa2 software and have the same problems.

I can enlarge the picture fine, but I can not find any way of saving the enlarged picture. I want to enlarge the wildlife picutres i took and use them in a slide show and as wall paper on my computer.

I have windows photo gallery, jasac paint shop pro studio, and jasc paint shop photo album5. All of these programs let me enlarge a picture, but not save it unless i am doing something wrong.

Jack

jack1 is offline   Reply With Quote