Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 13, 2008, 10:03 AM   #1

Okay, here's my current gallery of photos for the upcoming fairs. Comments and critiques always welcome. http://picasaweb.google.com/nhmom50/2008FairOptions

Wish I could get the close, crisp shots some others do here, but guess I'll just have to stick with landscapes where details don't show as much. Although, I must say, I was impressed with the iris' taken with the Tamron 70-300.

Off to Newport, RI for the day. We'll see if I can find anything new to add.

Patty

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2008, 10:14 AM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Great collection! The one of the white fence against the fall foliage and the macro of the rose petals should win you a blue ribbon each for sure!

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2008, 12:21 PM   #3

These are all awesome! An interesting collection, with lots of variety and all lovely shots. Not sure which I like best - I've always loved one of your winter scenes, the tree at night is excellent (I agree with your preference on that one). Can't decide about the two with the barn - it was surprising what a different feel and message a little change in perspective makes.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2008, 5:01 PM   #4

Lovely shots Patty.

Really love the red rose, the swan and the snowy house.

These all seem crisp and perfectly shot to me.

Dal

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2008, 6:11 PM   #5

Patty, how can you complain about not getting the detail shots? These are great! And you have a good eye for composition!
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2008, 10:34 AM   #6

Thanks, everyone. Most of the ones you've commented on are the ones being submitted this week. The problem is you can only enter one photograph per category. So, it makes it tough if I have two landscapes I like.

The rose one is somewhat in detail. But, if you look closely, the center of the rose is a little soft. I may try again this afternoon once I get back. I believe that was taken at f11, so I would have thought would have been enough DOF.

I don't know, maybe I just have higher standards for myself, but I just don't see the crispness that's in some of other people's photos. I didn't really do much close up stuff yesterday in Newport. Mostly shots of waves crashing against rocks, some silhouettes of boys jumping off a pier and pathways for the biweekly challenge.

Patty
Old Jul 14, 2008, 1:24 PM   #7

Patty - what lens were you using for the rose? I do lots and lots of flowers with the 105 macro lens and use f13 and f16 quite often.

I know what you mean about being picky - I'm far pickier about my own pictures than I am other people's photos, and the more I learn, the worse they look sometimes. Then I'll look at something I shot 6 months or a year ago, something I wasn't particularly crazy about, and think - hey, that's not bad at all! So go figure. And sometimes if I can't make a decision about which picture is better than another, I just mentally flip a coin and choose one. If they really are equally good, it won't matter which one you choose.

Good luck with the fair entries.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 11:06 PM   #8

Harriet - I used the Tamron 70-300 for that one. It was at 300mm, f27, 10 sec, AP, spot metering, ISO200, autofocus mode - single AF, autofocus area mode - select, 2 sec timer, flash off, no SR. I think I was about 4 feet away.

I've done the same thing I guess. I'll not like something one day, but a few weeks later, wonder what I didn't like about it.

Working on the Newport shots right now (although, it's getting late). There are a few possibilities to work with. Let's see what happens when I bring them into PSE5. I shot some in RAW, but was trying to do continuous shooting of the waves crashing against the rocks and switched back to jpg.

Patty
Old Jul 14, 2008, 11:49 PM   #9

I understand - at 300mm your DOF for macros is pretty tiny, even at f27. You've got everything pretty much maxxed out for it. I still like it, by the way.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 9:04 PM   #10

Okay, so someone has to explain this to me. The f-stop is not the only thing that affects DOF?

I did try some more shots tonight with the same lens, but at 180mm instead. You're right, they are clearer across the board. Also, taken at f13 (I think). Posted at the same web page above. No processing was done to the image. I'm having too much trouble with my new glasses right now for it.

Patty