Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 13, 2008, 7:50 PM   #11

Very interesting shots of subjects that most of us will never have the opportunity to shoot. I am happy to see nice pics from the 10-17mm as I wait for mine to arrive. Be safe in your service I/O.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2008, 8:54 PM   #12

Reminds me of the old days. Here is a refueling in a bit rougher conditions.

Made from a slide from the late 1960's.

US Aircraft Carrier Ranger, CVA 61, refueling from a tanker.
Attached Images

snooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2008, 8:55 PM   #13

Another view from the hanger bay.

Ed
Attached Images

snooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2008, 8:55 PM   #14

I even amazed myself in that I shot more with the FE than any of the other lenses I brought - mainly because the things were just so large - I needed at least 100 degrees to get them all in, and more often than not - all 180 degrees. Since the subjects were moving, stitched panoramas were not possible.

This was my first time back at sea on a Navy ship since I got out of the Navy 38 years ago. I have to say, its for younger people, although I did manage to keep up my end of the bargin. I was out supporting a technology demonstration that my company was asked to show.

There were other civilians out with me, supporting their technologies also. A lot of camera gear was taken along, C* and N* along with S* and O* and everything else. I was stunned that I was the only one to bring any wide angle lenses along. Everyone else went telephoto, along with their kit lens that bottomed out at 18 to 30 (finding that it was not wide enough). So I have been shipping images all over the place - a lot of requests. I have to say, my little K100 was passed around a lot, as everyone wanted to see just what the lens did. I have a feeling that Tokina will be selling at least another 10 lenses (not all that much really) in the C* and N* mounts. I heard - " I really need to pick one of thoes up" and "is really small !!"

Before going, I was wondering if I should have picked up the DA 12-24. It would not have been wide enough for the helo or ship shots. I still want to get it, but I am very happy with the little 10-17. I am amazed that you can control the bend almost at will, especially if your not shooting buildings with a lot of straight lines or right angles.

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2008, 9:05 PM   #15

Hi Ed,

Thoes were the conditions I remember from the North Atlantic. This was a real skate across the Pacific to Hawaii. I have more that I may post. We refuled from another tanker twice - for practice and various qualifications. Also had a number of LCACs (hovercraft) drive right up into the well deck of the ship. It was interesting to watch.

I need to get the pictures together from Hawaii ( only 2 half days and a full day there), but I may have some interesting shots....
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2008, 10:51 PM   #16

Great shots, particularly the CH-53.I'm always amazed at what these big helicopters can do. My son spent his Navy hitch working on CH-53's and has spent the time since he got out as a tech rep specializing in this helicopter. His wife is also a 53 mechanic, still in the Navy, stationed with the Marine squadron at Kaneohe Bay.

Your phots are convincing proof of what can be done with this lens. Very nice work.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2008, 1:12 AM   #17

Those are great shots. In most of them you had to look twice to notice the fish eye effect. The subject was always clear and undistorted. Really well done!

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2008, 5:34 AM   #18

Magnificent shot's.

Never thought that I would want a fisheye but this makes me doubt (very hard)

But it'll have to wait till my funds are higher.

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote