Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 15, 2008, 10:11 PM   #1

OK, I will admit right up front, I was careless and stupid. :angry:

I took Picasa, Adobe PhotoShop Elements 6, and Pentax's Silky with me on my recent trip to Hawaii. While on ship, I downloaded everything to my laptop daily. Now Pentax does not put any image orientation on the K100, so you have to rotate them by hand. I wound up importing them via PSE6, and rotating them, and all was relatively fine. After a while PSE6 would not run from the desktop (some sort of incompatability with having Silky loaded apparently after PSE6 - has happened on 3 different PCs now). Well anyway for some reason I went into Picasa and again rotated all the images. For what ever reason that possessed me, and I had never done this before, Picasa asked if I wanted to save my work and I hit [yes]. Well what it appeared to have done was to delete all the raw images that were rotated. [Now, I have found that I have files named IMGPxxxx.PEF.JPG - I just have not had time to see if they were just renamed by adding a second suffix of.jpg to them]. So the moral of the story is, that Picasa may delete some files (still checking), and keep a second backup while on travel. At least I still have the JPGs

The saving grace was that several other engineers from other companies that were aboard, asked for copies of most of my files (raw) 8 to 10GB worth (while on ship, but not the ones from Hawaii after arrival), so for most the damage - I just need to hunt them down back east and ask to have them roll them off to DVD for me.

And while I am on the topic, PSE6 - and I would guess by extension PS is not the most intutive, and useable system around. Bible labs does not do everything. So, what are some other software suggestions that people like to use? Ifanview is OK [however limited], but I have found the resizing to posting size here, its quality suffers (the resized images from PSE6 do look much better, at least to me). I know that post processing software is like a camera - its impossible to have the perfect system (unless you write it). I would like to do everything in raw and to a large extent I do like Bibble. So suggestions would certainly be welcome.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2008, 10:54 PM   #2

Wow, that hurts. Losing all those pictures. I hope you are able to Track down your co-workers and get the copies back.
I Do use PSE-6. I have used PSE since the beginning, So i can be no help there. Maybe PSP for JPEG.
For RAW I am in a rather unique position. I have a copy of Raw`Shooter Premum That was modified to work with the K10 and K100. Its Works great for me. Others Have not been so lucky.
If all else Fails i have Adobe Lightroom which i like for RAW. If Push really came to Shove my next Choice would be Silky

Hope this helps

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2008, 12:32 AM   #3

I don't use Picasa for any editing very often, but doesn't it save a copy of your originals when ever you save an edited version? Check your folders for a subfolder labeled "originals". Checking through my folders I have several where Picasa stuck the originals when I made some minor edit. I have not used Picasa to do anything with raw, though, so it may not work the same.

For the rare times I work in Raw I use lightroom. My main editing program is PSP X2. I played with PSE and found some things it did better than PSP but PSP was both easier to use and more powerful IMO.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2008, 9:08 AM   #4

I hate to hear about your problem, and I hope you're able to find your originals. Since I've never used either Picasso or PSE, I'm of no help for a solution. I always shoot JPEG and edit in PSP X2.

On another subject, I wanted to share with you the following photo. At the same time as you were docked in Pearl Harbor, a Navy buddy of my son came in on the Kitty Hawk and offered my son a tour of the carrier. (Five years in the Navy and he'd never been on a ship--figure that one out, lol) He took this shot of your ship from the Kitty Hawk's hanger deck.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2008, 12:42 PM   #5

First of all, I hope you recover those lost files somehow. I don't use Picasa as I had lost a whole trips worth of shooting using it. My fault, but I was not very familiar with it and well I paid the price for using it without really taking the time to learn its nuances.

For RAW files I cannot recommend any program as I do not shoot RAW or have the patience and time to put my computer through the steps necessary to get what I am happy with using jpeg.

I use FastStone for my image viewing and cropping for print. For the quick and dirty on jpeg I use PhotoFiltre for my posting on the web.

For my PP I use PSP9. It is not the memory hog PSP X2 is. I have CS2 but rarely use it thus I don't see my updating to CS3 unless I start using RAW and buy a newer camera.

I have used RawShooter Essentials and thought it to be very easy to use and since I haven't bought the latest and greatest digicam I can still work with it with my DS and D200.

Next time, make a copy folder of your originals right away and use the copy for the tweaking or what have you. That way, you have the "so called" negative to go back to if the copy goes a missing or just does not plain work out so well that you have not other recourse but to try again.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2008, 4:31 PM   #6

As another thought, you may still be able to use card recovery software to get some of the originals back off of the card.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2008, 7:36 PM   #7

Ouch! That sure hurts! I can't offer much for advice - I've been using Photoshop since Photoshop 3 (back in the days when it came with a tutorial, which I worked through and learned a good portion of the program), so I'm comfortable with it. I like Lightroom, but have taken the time to work some tutorials with it too, to figure it out. I like it because it never changes the raw file - when you are happy with the changes you "export" it to another file, either a tiff or a jpg file - there's no way to "save" your changes to the original file. Both programs have a steep learning curve, and I know I don't use either to its fullest capability.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2008, 7:51 PM   #8

Sorry to hear of your mishap. Hope you can get the images back somehow.

I'm not a pro by any means on any of the imagingsoftware. But, I use Irfanview for quick viewing of photos in jpg. I like the way I can scroll through them and have multiple copies open at once to compare photos.

If I've shot in RAW, I'll open them in Pentax Photobrowser/Laboratory to see how the white balance adjustment is. Although, most times I think I find that I like the adjustments made to WB in PSE 5 better.

For image editing I've been using PSE since version 2. I currently have 5. Didn't see any real benefit for me to upgrade to 6 and am assuming 7 will be out soon as I've seen huge discounts for 6 recently.

My husband recently started using PhotoFilter, but he's just starting in image editing, so not sure what he's doing. He liked it for the price. (Even though we already have PSE5 on the computer. I think he just had to have his own thing.)

Anyway, not sure that this helps, but ..... I do have Picasa installed, just forget all the time I do.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2008, 9:19 AM   #9

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Upon further looking, in one of my folders, I found another "original" folder with most (if not all - at least from that day) images. I have just been too busy at work to really pursue this - hopefully another week and I will be able to see daylight.

Paul - yes, that was the BHR, it appears to be a few days after I got off, since the Tomcat is no longer parked in front of the island.

This was a good lesson on handling images while on travel. I need to get this post processing software problem solved. I just want a small set of tools to use that will get the job done - easily.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote