Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 18, 2008, 9:56 PM   #1

I haven't posted here much in a long time, but I had to share this story with people who would appreciate it.

I was looking at e-bay tonight and did a search for new listings of Pentax lenses. One labeled "Pentax 35mm Telephoto Lens" caught my eye, so I took a look at it.

What to my wondering eyes should appear but an A* 300mm f4.0 lens for $275.

The only problem was that it didn't actually say it was an A* lens. So I checked in SPLOSdb and sure enough the only Pentax A 300mm f4.0 lens is an A*. Still $275 is a fair investment for me, and the only picture was of the back of the lens so all you could see was the serial number.I figured I'd take a quick look at bdimitrov and see if the picture there matched the one on e-Bay. After a couple of fumble fingered attempts, I got there and BINGO, the pictures matched. So I went back to e-Bay and clicked Buy It Now.

You guessed it - I got a message that said the lens had already been sold.

Now, I wasn't really looking for a 300mm lens when I started out - I've got a nice SMC Takumar 300mm f4.0 that I'm happy with. Somehow though, in the few minutes between when I saw it andwhen I clicked on Buy It Now, that lens became awfully important to me. I could already feel it in my hands. The Sold message was one heck of a kick in the gut.

Anyway, here's the listing - looks like it's in beautiful condition.

here http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220259034855

dave_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2008, 10:15 PM   #2

Hi Dave,

Ah -- the Pentaxian's equivalent to the fish story about the "one that got away". . .

I have a few of those myself, but it just too painful -- :-)

Console yourself by saying that this was probably Roy's old A*300/4 that had a front element that someone tried to polish with a cinder block. . . :-)

But this shows you that the real deals are still out there, ya just gotta keep your eyes open and have some mad money stashed away so you're ready to pounce when they show themselves.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2008, 10:34 PM   #3

Yup, there was a 300mm A* f/4 and a 300mm M* f/4 that was available in my book, but I seem to remember a 300mm A lens without the * that was available too.

He who snoozes looses!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2008, 10:49 PM   #4

If that lens wasn't Roy's old lens, then whoever bought it got a fabulous buy. You might see that same lens listed within the next couple of weeks and it have a buy it now price of $800. The *300 lenses are quite distinctive looking. Now that you've noticed them, you'll be able to spot them quicker.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2008, 10:15 AM   #5

Glen - I'd like to think that, but somehow from the time I got the sold message that lens became one of the greatest pieces of glass ever made :angry:

Tom - That's what I was worried about, but I couldn't find any info on an a version without the *. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Harriet - That was the really frustrating part of it. I've looked at the A* before. I really like the compact design. I should have known right off - should of, could of, etc.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts, rainy day here, so I think I'll go search e-Bay for some bargains:-)
Old Jul 19, 2008, 1:46 PM   #6

Sorry to do that to you Dave but, when I saw the buy it now price I just couldn't resist!:blah:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2008, 5:55 PM   #7

Oh, well done! You will LOVE the lens and I'm glad to know that such a fabulous deal went to someone who will use the lens to take pictures, rather than turn around and sell it for a profit.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2008, 6:45 PM   #8

Oh no!
I was only joking Harriet, although I wish I wasn't. :G if I had seen it I would have jumped on it. not sure how I would have paid for it though... guess I'd have to dig into my savings.:-)
I can certainly understand how Dave felt, I feel bad just knowing I missed it too!

GW
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2008, 7:13 PM   #9

Could be a scam too. He has another lens for sale that looks like a Canon L lens..described as a Sigma 50-500mm. check this out

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sigma-Pentax-Zoo...QQcmdZViewItem
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2008, 10:52 PM   #10

He's actually describingthat one asSigma 50-200. There is such a lens, but I've never seen one. No idea if it looks like that or not.

I will say the seller is very good at taking pictures that don't actually show any identification on the lens, and that does seem a little suspicious. Still, I hope he's legit. Id hate to see anyone get burned that way. (Of course I'd hat it a lot more if it was me getting burned).