Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 19, 2008, 10:12 AM   #1

Here are a few pictures taken at the Farnborough Air Show here in the UK. It was a bit of a dull day weatherwise but I think that is more forgiving of exposure settings than a bright blue sky with the sun in the way.

Camera is a Pentax *ist DL2 with a Sigma 70-300 APO lens (non DG version) and all pictures were shot in RAW mode with manual focus and manual expusure settings of 1/3000s @ f5.6

I have done some Photoshop work on the pictures but would be interested in any suggestions on how to further improve them.

The first is of the RAF Red Arrows display team.

The next is of the Avro Vulcan bomber which has just completed restoration and aquired an air worthiness certificate.

And another of the Vulcan Bomber

One thing I found most frustrating about shooting in RAW mode was having to wait every few shots for the data to be written to the SD card before I could take any more pictures. I found I missed quite a few good shots waiting for the camera. It took me a while to realise this was the reason as I normally shoot in JPG mode.

Anyway, I thought I'd share these with you and I'd be interested in any comments (good or bad).

Russell
RussellS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2008, 7:46 PM   #2

Nice shots. Can't be easy to shoot these whizzing by. Only thing I'd do is use the shadow/highlight tool to bring out the detail of the planes in the 2nd and 3rd shots. Looks good though...cheers...Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2008, 8:42 PM   #3

Hi Russell,

I imagine these were really tough shots with them moving at the high speeds. Good job.

I'm on my laptop and may realize these don't look as good when I switch to the desktop, but I made some minor changes.

See how these look to you.

Patty
Attached Images

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2008, 8:43 PM   #4

Here's the first one. I tried working with the second one, but couldn't manage to improve it any.

Patty
Attached Images

Old Jul 19, 2008, 10:50 PM   #5

Good series, Russell and well done Patty.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2008, 10:52 AM   #6

Nice shots - here's my attempt

Dave
dave_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2008, 11:25 AM   #7

Thanks for the comments & suggestions, they are much appreciated.

What is definately apparent is that I am getting better with the post processing. If you compare these shots with the ones I took at the last Farnborough Air Show two years ago http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=80 I am quite impressed with the improvement.

Patty:
In your version of my Red Arrows photo you have managed to increase the detail in the clouds which is something I was trying to achieve but was having problems with. How did you manage that without destroying the detail in the rest of the picture?

Anyway, thanks once again

Russell
RussellS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2008, 1:34 PM   #8

Russell,

I'm not sure what steps or order I did on the photos as I tried quite a few things. But, I know I used Smart Curves (free PS plugin at http://free.pages.at/easyfilter/curves.html) and I believe also went intoAdjust Color > Adjust Color Curves in the program and adjusted the contrast. Also, played with the Shadows/Highlights, but it was the CC that brought the clouds out.

I was going to just adjust the sky using the magnetic lasso tool, but the whole picture benefited from it. Might still be able to go in and do a little bit more to just the clouds and make them better, too.

Patty