Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 19, 2008, 10:52 PM   #1

I've been away for a week, and restricted on where I could go. So I've been rather desperately looking for photo subjects. I did manage some pictures of the local animals and birds on my morning walk. They aren't brilliant pictures, but at least I was out there taking something.

The 77 Limited isn't a lens one thinks of for wildlife, but it was on my camera when I ran across this not so friendly resident.He inspected me with a great deal of reservation before finally leaving.

Walking a little further along, I ran into this tiny ground squirrel. These fellows aren't friendly like the tree squirrels around the office, and the 77 Limited was still on the camera so this one is significantly cropped.

To give you an idea, here's a different picture I took of it. This one is cropped, too, but not as significantly (the one above was close to 100%). The squirrel I saw is at the lower right-hand corner of the picture. It wasn't until I looked at this picture on the monitor that I realized it wasn't alone. How many other squirrels can you see in the background?

I finally decided to change to the A*300:

Just around the bush from the squirrels I noticed these eyes staring at me:

I love the K20 because there's so much information for cropping. The above picture is 100% crop, or close to it. Those eyes belonged to this face hiding in the rocks and beside a bush:

There were a number of hummingbirds around but I could only manage some silhouettes. I couldn't manage much more for what I think was a mockingbird - whatever it was had a large repertoire of songs. This is about the only bird picture that I managed where you can figure out what it is. I don't have my Field Guide with me so all I really know is that it's some type of blackbird.

I hope these look OK - I'm using my laptop's monitor and it's not the greatest. If the color is off or they are too dark, let me know. I'll be home tomorrow and can re-work them if they need it (but I've been bored and wanted to put up something).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2008, 11:07 PM   #2

Nice shots - I really like the last cat. Look like it's rally ready to kill something. Oh, and 6 + 2 suspicious rocks.

Dave
dave_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2008, 12:00 AM   #3

Your desperation paid off very well, I love the cat, you wouldn't have ever guessed and the squirrel is ever so cute.
I, of course agree the K20D is fantastic and you create with it so well.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2008, 2:05 AM   #4

Hi Harriet,

Neat, fun stuff! I like them all.

I see 7 squirrels.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2008, 8:33 AM   #5

Very nice, the cat shots show just how capable the K20D is for detail and color.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2008, 9:50 AM   #6

Nice shots, Harriet. The last cat is amazing. Sure shows the benefits of a 14MP to a 6.

Btw, I see 7 seven squirrels. Those are the scrawniest looking squirrels I've ever seen.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2008, 1:30 PM   #7

Proves that the motive is something the photographer sees, not something that happens to be there. Well done desperation, Harriet.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2008, 6:57 PM   #8

Thank you all - I was glad to see that the pictures look all right on my monitor at home (got home a little while ago).

I see a total of 7 squirrels - the one in focus and 6 in the background. Just wondered if anyone would see any that I missed - as I mentioned, I was rather surprised to see so many in the picture. I was concentrating on making sure the one was in-focus and thinking about changing lenses, so I didn't even notice all the other ones. They are quite small and scrawny, and seem to live in between the rocks along this drainage/walk. It was interesting to see big signs at either end saying that the walk is a dual use area, drainage and recreation. Having seen the raging waters/flash flooding that can happen in a sudden desert thunderstorm, I hope that everyone pays heed to the sign's warning.

I don't know what type of black bird that is - it's bigger than the Brewers Blackbirds we have at home. It also would occasionally hold its tail up instead of down like it is now.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 7:51 PM   #9

Fun stuff--love the ground squirrels. There's always stuff to take pictures of--it's great you were able to get out after a week away.
Rickst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2008, 8:22 PM   #10

Actually, those were while I was away (family illness). At least there was a park nearby where I could take a walk before it got too hot.