Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 20, 2008, 11:45 PM   #1

My friend is considering the move from Pentax MX to digital. He asked me what I think he should do. Blow his entire budget on the K20 with kit lens, or get the K200 and get a secondDA Pentax lens .

He has 50MM 1.4; 28MM 2.8; 80-320 zoom from this MX config. Since I own just a 1st DL don't know what to tell um. what do you Pentax folks who use the 200 or 20think.
Bowenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2008, 12:48 AM   #2

to add my two cents I am biased. I chose to get a new lens vs update the DL. for the most part I am happy with that. Was going to recommend he go with the 200 and second lens but wantedthe opinion of others.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 1:23 AM   #3

It's really up to your friend on his level of skill, talent, capability and the type and size of camera he likes. I like a smaller and lighter camera, so the K200 would work better for me (I have the K100), especially since my skill level is not as advanced as I would like it to be.

The K200D is essentially a repackaged K10D minus a lot of the manual controls, so with the K200 you give up a level of control in exchange for the pre programmed modes. The K20 also has the 14MP with the K200 at 10MP, so the pixel density may have a determination on what your friend wants, also.

He really needs to go handle both bodies, and see what exactly works best for him and what appeals to him in terms of camera controls. I also think that there is a difference in the viewfinders.

If he is really advanced then he will probably like the K20
If he is still puttering around (like me) then maybe the K200

Another idea would be to find a K100D or Super, for some rather small amount of funds, and wait another 6 months or so for the new 300 series. If Pentax entends the new sensor to the K300 and ups the pixel density of the K30, then he could really score. the K100/Super is just 6MP with SR and should be a reasonably cheap learning experience. With his current lenses - he would be set, until he determines what he wants to really do with some digital experience. Also, the kit lenses are going pretty cheap on ebay, so he would have a lot of options.

Also, to tell you the truth, the kit lenses are really pretty good. There is another thread on the lens area that is essentially asking the same question - the kit lenses or something better?

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=94

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2008, 8:37 AM   #4

Personally I would find a used K10D (they are about $450 now) to get started since it has many more features than the K200D does along with a much better viewfinder. That way he can get a quality lens to go with the camera, since the lens is extremely important if you want sharp images.

If that works for him, then he can get the K20D or what ever is available at that time and the quality lens will work on any Pentax DSLR he decides to purchase.

Even better a used DS (about $300 used) to start with, extremely reliable, takes quality images without a lot of manipulation. A great way to start off with a DSLR and then work themselves up to a more complex camera after he figures out digital compared to film.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2008, 9:59 AM   #5

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
Personally I would find a used K10D (they are about $450 now) to get started since it has many more features than the K200D does along with a much better viewfinder. That way he can get a quality lens to go with the camera, since the lens is extremely important if you want sharp images.

If that works for him, then he can get the K20D or what ever is available at that time and the quality lens will work on any Pentax DSLR he decides to purchase.

Even better a used DS (about $300 used) to start with, extremely reliable, takes quality images without a lot of manipulation. A great way to start off with a DSLR and then work themselves up to a more complex camera after he figures out digital compared to film.

Tom
I like Tom's idea. Get a good used K10D to play around with for a year or so then get a K20D after the prices fall at that time. Cost a lot less that way. Also explain what LBA is so when it hits him he will already know what is going on! LOL

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2008, 11:18 AM   #6

great idea didn't think to go the used route. Thanks
Old Jul 21, 2008, 1:52 PM   #7

If they go the used K10 route - have them make sure there aren't any AF issues with the lenses they are going to use. Some early ones had a problem with that, where they would intermittently have problems - mine was like that, it was not all the time but just enough to keep me off-balance.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2008, 2:58 PM   #8

There have already been a lot of opinions expressed on this thread, and they're all valid. For whatever it's worth,I have a K100D and just a few weeks ago my wife got a K200D. She is delighted with the K200. It hasvery simple controls and is thereforeeasy to use. But she can set just about any control she wants to, so it's also easy to set something manually. Neither one of us has ever peered through the viewfinder of a K10 or K20, so we don't know what we're missing, but neither of us has ever been unhappy with the viewfinder of the K100 and K200.

Clearly, there are many options for your friend, and whichever option your friend chooses, he will end up with a nice camera.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2008, 12:25 PM   #9

Im using the k100 (Non Super) and I'm going through pretty much the same dilemma. I WANT the K20 but I think for now it would be more financially prudent to get the K200 since it has a higher resolution, that great RAW button and the sensor cleaning function. Overall, theres enough reasons right there to upgrade but I'm wondering should I just save up the $1000 to get the K20 or jsut bite the bullet and get the 200? I can always Ebay the K100 body (im keeping the kit lens).

Life is hard. :?
JBoyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2008, 2:19 PM   #10

Going with a used K10D is a good idea but it has its drawbacks as to what version you will be getting.

The K200D looks to get my vote to start with and eventually become a back-up to the K20D or whatever else comes out down the line. The DS is a great camera and is TTL vs. PTTL which could become a headache later in trying to learn flash in another way when having only experiencing using TTL feature of the DS. Personally, I have learned that going manually with flash, any flash is far superior and more reliable, so that may not prove to be a problem anyway.

Getting good glass is the first consideration since the bodies are more like throw away computer imaging processors anyway, albeit many who are RAW shooters exclusively don't use the in-camera processing features at all, that would be a moot point as well.

Lots to choose from. Ultimately, it comes down to budget, price, availability and needs and not necessarily in that order for some.

Tom

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote