Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 21, 2008, 11:08 AM   #1

Dear all,
I now have a DL, the kit lens, the Pentax 55-200, the Sigma 100-300, the Pentax 50, 2.0,and the Tamron 24-135. I am basically happy with all of them, but I find myself changing lenses all the time. If I were to sell a couple of them, would it be worth it to buy the Pentax 18-250? Its not just the sensor getting dirty, it'salso a pain in the neck to keep changing lenses on the fly. What do y'all think!

Glenn

Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2008, 2:17 PM   #2

Given that the Pentax is a re-packaged Tamron & at the time that I bought my Tamron, the Pentax was UKĀ£100 more.

The only reason, IMHO, for buying the Pentax in preference to the Tamron, would be for cosmetic reasons & not functionality.

Be warned that there is a sting in the tail as this lens suffers from vignetting across the whole focal length range so it's important to to stop down as much as possible.

Vignetting can be corrected for using post processing & works well on the RAW image but not so good on JPGs.

I like the flexibility that this lens provides. Check out my web site at www.wight-cam.co.uk - all images shot in 2008 were taken with the Tamron 18-250mm lens.
IntrepidWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2008, 2:52 PM   #3

In decent light the 18-250mm works well.

Flamingo Gardens, 18mm, F7.1
Attached Images

snooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2008, 2:53 PM   #4

I Ibis, 110mm, F7.1
Attached Images

Old Jul 21, 2008, 2:55 PM   #5

Peacock, 250mm, F7.1
Attached Images

Old Jul 21, 2008, 4:22 PM   #6

Don't compromise on the lenses. Buy a K20 and use two cameras - keep the long tele or macro lens on the K20 and the wide angle on the DL. Then you'll cut your lens changing in half.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2008, 4:35 PM   #7

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Don't compromise on the lenses. Buy a K20 and use two cameras - keep the long tele or macro lens on the K20 and the wide angle on the DL. Then you'll cut your lens changing in half.
Not everyone wants to 'lug around' a couple of bodies + lens - it's 'horses for courses'.
IntrepidWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2008, 9:19 AM   #8

Hi Glen, I understand your delima as I have somewhat the same problem - with different lenses. I really want to only carry around 4 - and that may be too many. I too have the 50-200 and a 75-300 and am thinking that maybe a 55-300 may be better replacement for the 2, however I do not know. Also, I really do not shoot in low light, so that helps. I carry everything in a backpack that does have size limitations in the size of the lens. Thus lens length plays into all of this also.

I also have the 10-17 along with the 16-45 with the kit, and thinking very hard about getting the 12-24 and eliminating the 16-45. I would like both the FE and a rectlinear at the wide end, since that is where my interests are, but with the option to zoom in on some aspect that may be really interesting (thus the 300)..... There is also another way of looking at things (at least for me) other than focal lenght replication. Especially in the wide end, there is the angle of view. For instance the 10-17 has an angle of view of 180-100 degrees and the 12-24; 99 to 60 degrees, so in focal length there is an overlap, but not in the angle of view. However, this is a special case due to the FE.

I think that its all in how you take pictures, what type / subjects your mostly interested in, and the amounts of use / opportunities you have for each lens along with the usual available light. That is the way I am trying to approach this..... and then sit and do nothing.

I found that my camera sensor was dirty and all I was doing was moving the dirt around, so I took it in to be cleaned. The camera tech - looked at me and said nice collection, but all your doing is switching lenses (while letting the dirt in) - and suggested that I consider a second body. I really do not think I want to go in that direction yet or at all. Anyway - he really liked the 10-17. I get my camera and lenses back today (... I think).

Anyway - have fun!!
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2008, 5:48 PM   #9

My post was really in jest - anyone who carries two camera bodies and/or over 10 lbs of camera equipment on a regular basis is certifiable. Don't know why they haven't caught up to me yet... :blah:

However, I'm always willing to give someone a reason to upgrade their camera. :evil:

The biggest question is whether the relatively slow 18-250 will be fast enough. Otherwise, it looks like a pretty good lens, the best of the all-in-one lenses.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote