Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 23, 2008, 1:16 AM   #1

I have this picture that I took a couple of weeks ago while out at sea. It's one of my favorites - so far. The original is somewhat dark and appears to almost be a silhouette. The foreground is dark. By lightening it up does it become a better picture? If I lighten it up, how much? Any suggestions?

A little background. We were crusing off of the coast of California, in formation with a destroyer at dusk. The sun was going down, and as I took the pictures we were getting ready to darken ship and go into night steaming. Just a few minutes after this image, we pulled all the lines back and detached , then the two ships seperated. I took it with the DA 10-17 FE at 10mm so it is 180 degrees edge to edge.

So here is the image - no modifications - just converted from RAW to JPG

Attached Images

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2008, 1:17 AM   #2

Here is my attempt at modifying the original by lightening it up...
Attached Images

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2008, 2:19 AM   #3

Honestly, I like the original picture better. All it really needs is a slight boost in contrast. The second one is too bright and saturated.

Definitely keep experimenting tho.
JBoyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2008, 3:35 AM   #4

Hi,

Here's my take ... In PS I used the shadow/highlights filter to boost the shadow area a little, then toned down the highlights a little. Converted to LAB colour boosted contrastsome in the A & B channels, then applied slight sharpening to the lightness channel, then converted back to RGB colour. Hope you like the result. ... Jack.
Attached Images

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2008, 8:06 AM   #5

I think I'd take the picture and do two layers. I like the sky in the unedited version, so I'd probably have a layer that is just the sky (nice having a decent division), then another layer that has your adjustments to the ships. I think that way you'd bring out the ships without the problems you encountered with the sky. I can't decide whether I would go as far as Jack did with his very nicely doneadjustments though. It certainly brings out the details on the ships better and doesn't introduce any extra noise, but I'm not so sure about the feel of it - I rather like the silhouette feeling of your adjusted version. I guess it's a matter of what you want the picture to "say".
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2008, 9:31 AM   #6

Two layers

one Levels and one Brightness, brushed over with a mask

PK
Attached Images

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2008, 10:57 AM   #7

Here are my 5c.

Used a plugin (viveza) to darken to two top corners, lighten the two bottom ones, and add saturation to the center. The plugin is something that is default in the nikon raw convertor and is now also available as photoshop plugin.

Attached Images

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2008, 11:15 AM   #8

Lots of good processing here. I think it's just a matter of the individual's taste viewing the photo. I left the sky a little darker, and lightened up the ship and foreground a bit, but not too much, as it could be a little too busy. I also boosted the red channel using the saturation tool......cheers..Don
Attached Images

thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote