Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 25, 2008, 12:51 AM   #1

We went to Dachau, site of one of Hitler's KZs, concentration camps. It is one of the most sobering places I have ever been. This first shot is the site of Barracks #30. Each barracks was designed to hold 200 prisoners. By 1945, each of the 30 was holding aproximately 1000 men. I think what makes this place, and others like it, so disturbingis the organization that went into it. Even the soldiers and officers working in these campswere chosento create the most suffering and pain.

The boundary of the prisoner's section of the camp.

And finally a statue.

To the dead, honor. To the living, warning.
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2008, 5:14 AM   #2

Very sobering but sadly the human race never learns & still inflicts untold suffering against those that are potentially different or who have a different point of view - just look at recent events in Zimbabwe.
IntrepidWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2008, 9:07 AM   #3

Visiting Dachau is a sobering experience.

I was there in 1964.

It's a shame that there are those who would deny the existence of such a place and the holocaust.
EddyinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2008, 10:31 AM   #4

Beautiful but in a dark way. Never forget is the way we should view it! As for those that deny it happened...Keep an eye on them as they are the type that would do it again!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2008, 10:38 AM   #5

The first photo is quite powerful when one knows the reason for the "30". Thanks for the reminder. I just hope the newer generations carry on the remembrance of this dark period of history..........Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2008, 10:55 AM   #6

great series,

it's a great reminder that this shouldn't couldn't happen again, only to sad that detention camps & genocide still exists.
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2008, 11:44 AM   #7

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
The first photo is quite powerful when one knows the reason for the "30". Thanks for the reminder. I just hope the newer generations carry on the remembrance of this dark period of history..........Don
Hate to sound ignorant, but I'm interested in the significance of the "30" besides the number of the barracks!

The composition is A1 by the way (as always)

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2008, 5:14 PM   #8

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
Hate to sound ignorant, but I'm interested in the significance of the "30" besides the number of the barracks!

The composition is A1 by the way (as always)

Jay
According to a page I found, Block 30 was used to house invalids who couldn't work.

Source: http://www*****apbookpages.com/Dachau...arracks01.html
Rufus T Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2008, 11:55 PM   #9

Thanks for the comments, Intrepid, Eddy, Dawg, Don, Ronny, Jay and Rufus. When I took the picture of #30 it was only because it was the last one. Thank you for the history of it. I think that by 1945 most invalids were being killed outright, either in gas chambers or on the pistol range. It was not worth it to keep non-workers alive.
It is discouraging that genocide is still happening even as we speak.It is apparent that education, knowledge, technology and the shrinking world don't change the nature of man, or at least some men,to terribly much.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2008, 7:53 AM   #10

Glen

Thanks For Sharing these pictures. They represent a Dark part of the Worlds history. As many have mentioned its just sad that We as a people have not learned a lesson from this.

BTW Excellent Shots

Phil

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote