Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 27, 2008, 8:27 PM   #1

I was rather surprised that I got as good a shot as I did. I wish I had a better vantage point without all the vegetation in the way but, I guess I'll have to take what I can get… this is at 200mm handheld. Old Tokina 28-200mm 1/125 f:4.5

Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2008, 8:42 PM   #2

I'd take it any day, that's one great shot. And it looks like there's some sort of egret inthe background too.

Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2008, 8:56 PM   #3

a200user wrote:
Quote:
I'd take it any day, that's one great shot. And it looks like there's some sort of egret inthe background too.

Jim
yah. I think he's the snowy that I was taken pics of earler in the day. I don't think he wanted to quit posing!:lol: thanks Jim i appreciate the kind words.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 9:12 PM   #4

Very nice, GW. Nice details.
Driver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 4:04 AM   #5

This is a very good shot! I'm just reading an African novel, so the egret makes me think about an ancestral spirit guarding his living kin.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 1:50 PM   #6

Very nice. I don't mind the vegetation in this one because it makes it look more "real-world" to me.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 3:15 PM   #7

Thank you Driver and Kjell,
Kjell, if I wasn't always working or online, I might have a chance to read a novel too!
:lol:

Harriet, thank you, I guess I'm too hard on myself, I always want the perfect shot but, can't seem to get it!:-)[/b]
I have a question for you; I think you have the same flash, the Pentax 540. On the head there is a button to press to move the head up for bounce. I assume it is suppose to lock in position until you press the button to release it and move it to another position. Is that correct? On mine, it moves regardless if press the button or not, is this something to worry about?:-? Just curious, thanks[/b]
GW

Old Jul 28, 2008, 3:35 PM   #8

Goldwinger wrote:
Quote:
Kjell, if I wasn't always --- online, I might have a chance to read a novel too!:lol:
Hmmm, maybe you should have an extra look at Roy's avatar...

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 5:08 PM   #9

That is a nice shot, although I would take out the egret in the background if it were mine.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 6:06 PM   #10

Goldwinger wrote:
Quote:

*I have a question for you; I think you have the same flash, the Pentax 540. On the head there is a button to press to move the head up for bounce. I assume it is suppose to lock in position until you press the button to release it and move it to another position. Is that correct? On mine, it moves regardless if press the button or not, is this something to worry about?:-? Just curious, thanks

[/b]
Hi GW,

A very nice shot, especially considering how close yor had to get with a 200. The Egret in the BG was a lucky stroke, IMO.

I wouldn't sweat the foliage -- for birds, if you're shooting opportunistically (not with a set up branch to perch, and probably from a hide. . . just taking what you can find) it's really rare to find one that you can actually shoot where the conditions are perfect because it's really more luck than anything. MUCH more often than not, the lighting is from the wrong direction, the bird is in the shadows, or it sits there and poses, but with a big leaf blocking its head. . .:roll: -- But for me, there's a good side to this -- I always have an excuse for my shots not turning out as well as I'd like, so I make my excuses and am very critical of the shot, and people invariably tell me that I'm being too modest and give me more credit than I actually deserve. . .:-)

About the head lock button -- it's only supposed to lock out the -7° "macro" position. In all the rest of the positions, there are only spring loaded detents. -- Nothing to worry about.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote