Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 29, 2008, 11:39 AM   #1

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

What's everyone using for LCD Screen Protectors? I use the Giotto self adhesive film and it seems to do OK. But then I came across a thin glass protector also from Giotto: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...nal_Glass.html

It is not as economical as the plastic film, but wonder if anyone has any experience with it.

Also with the film, I found that using a 3" size works better on the K20D's 2.7" screen. Haven't had any peeliing yet.

Jay

PS. I saw K100-D User's post on a broken LCD--sorry but my question may be too late for his issue
Wingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2008, 12:12 PM   #2

Jay, I'm using the glass protector from Giotto that you mention on my K20d, and I really like it. It drops the brightness of the LCD very slightly, but that can be compensated in the camera. Just a few days after I put mine on, I noticed a small crack in the upper right hand corner of the protector glass. I don't know if the camera took a lick that I was not aware of, or it was a stress crack in the protector. If it was a blow, the protector worked as advertised and absorbed it, rather than suffering a break to the LCD screen.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2008, 12:28 PM   #3

I have used both by Giottos. I don't use them anymore. Seemed that I could not get them clean enough to use the LCD to view my shots as well as without.

I haven't (cross fingers) had the mishap of a cracked LCD screen as posted in another thread.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2008, 1:45 PM   #4

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
Jay, I'm using the glass protector from Giotto that you mention on my K20d, and I really like it. It drops the brightness of the LCD very slightly, but that can be compensated in the camera. Just a few days after I put mine on, I noticed a small crack in the upper right hand corner of the protector glass. I don't know if the camera took a lick that I was not aware of, or it was a stress crack in the protector. If it was a blow, the protector worked as advertised and absorbed it, rather than suffering a break to the LCD screen.

Paul
Paul,

What size glass protector did you get? i.e. 2.7" or an alternate size in order to achieve the best fit? Also, I read one review about the potential hazard of the sharp edges. Would appreciate any further comments from you on it.

Thanks

Jay
Old Jul 30, 2008, 12:05 PM   #5

I got my one for the K10D here

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ACMAXX-2-5-HAR...3911.m14.l1318

He also does them for the K20D

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ACMAXX-LCD-PRO...3911.m14.l1318

You get both parts and it does not seem to affect viewing at all.

Very happy with mine.

Dal

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2008, 7:08 PM   #6

Thanks Dal. The 2.7" Giotto appears to out of stock at some leading retailers in the US right now. I may opt for your reference since it actually includes protectors for the main LCD display as well as the top display. The price appears to be the same as the Giotto protector (which does not include the top display protector).

Jay
Old Jul 31, 2008, 5:22 AM   #7

After reading a reference to glass protectors(AA21 GGS LCD Glass for K20D) in the dutch Pentax forum I ordered 2 of them, a k10d and a k20d.

Imho they are a lot better than the plastic protectors I've been using. The manual is in Chinese, but a piece of glass with 3m glue on the side, how difficult can that be.

The price was about 12$ a piece (no shipping fee), but ... where I ordered them they had a special action and they refunded me 2$ (a piece), this has never happened to me before with ebay.

It's cheaper than those Dal mentioned, and are only for the back.

So if you're interested http://stores.ebay.com/GreenLife-Style

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2008, 5:49 AM   #8

Ronny,

Thanks for the referral. Since the Giotto brand does not seem to be in stock in the US with my usual stores right now, I ordered the one that DAL referred to. It is more expensive no doubt, but isn't that always the case: i.e. after you purchase something, you always find it less expensive at another store!

In any event, I was attracted to the fact that what I ordered comes with a protector for the main as well as top display. I'll also have to see how the poly carbonate protector functions vs. glass. The seller has a money back guarantee which is good since I am a very fussy customer!!

Thanks

Jay
Old Jul 31, 2008, 10:43 AM   #9

I hope you are as pleased with them as I was Jay.

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2008, 12:20 PM   #10

i bought a canon ip6000d printer and it was covered with some clear plastic. i used it and it's been going strong for 3 years..

Roy
http://picasaweb.google.com/roysphoto
roysphoto @ Gmail.com
robar is offline   Reply With Quote