Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 30, 2008, 11:46 AM   #11

Harriet, I mirrored the images on my two displays, and they look snappier on the Mac display (anything would, I think) than the Sony LCD. I doubt the browser would affect the uploaded images. Are you sure there wasn't some atmospheric haze present that would have dulled/diffused the images somewhat? I can see in the last photo a darker layer in the sky to the left of the hill. The slightly muted colors are what I would expect from eroded western desert landscapes like these, even without the haze.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2008, 5:36 PM   #12

I can only confirm what others have already written. They look very fine on my monitor, but maybe the colours are a bit washed out. Except the tortoise, it looks very fine from all aspects.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2008, 7:25 PM   #13

I've now looked at them on my own home monitor (still using a PC) and using both Safari and IE. They look pretty much the same and I don't see the fuzziness I thought I saw yesterday. Must be my eyes going or else my laptop's monitor doing something weird.

The last one was taken looking toward the city, so it's no wonder you see that haze. Vegas is in a bowl and often has a haze/smog layer. I don't really like the first one - but then I've taken similar photographs of the same place and never liked any of them.

All of the pictures were taken between 6 am and 8, and most of the details were in shade (the sun wasn't above the hill to the east yet). I rather guessed at how much warming to do with those three - my laptop just doesn't adjust right when it comes to colors. The "turtle" (yes, I thought that's exactly what it looked like) really was too much dynamic range for the camera, even though I used the extended dynamic range for it. I think I'll try to re-do these pictures now that I'm home.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2008, 2:09 AM   #14

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
really was too much dynamic range for the camera, even though I used the extended dynamic range for it.
In SA I used the extended dynamic range feature nearly all the time. Now that I'm processing the pictures I find (using Lightroom or Camera Raw) that there stillare a lot of details to recover in the supposedly burnt out areas. The sensor seems to have a better dynamic range than the firmware.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2008, 4:35 AM   #15

All the pictures are looking very nice, sharp and clear. Only seems a little bit faded.
Thanks.

angelinalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2008, 6:07 AM   #16

Hi Harriet,

the pics look ok to me, although they did look alittle flat on my OLD laptop, which I have to use as my hard drive crashed, but looks better on my wifes iBook.

Simon
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2008, 12:24 PM   #17

All these shots look finr Harriet.

I really love the prehistoric tortoise.

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2008, 9:33 PM   #18

Lovely series Harriet. I along with the others agree they're a little washed out looking. You might want to reprocess at home if you're not happy with them. Do you have a calibration tool? That can help immensely if you're using a laptop from time to time......cheers...Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2008, 11:18 PM   #19

I started off using the Huey with my laptop's monitor, but it's not accurate with the colors - it introduces way too much green. Someone posted a b&w conversion here and I thought it was tinted! I end up trying to use Adobe's color correction software, but spend my time getting frustrated when I try to do it myself (I'm not really good about figuring how how to mix colored light to get what you want). I've thought about getting the Spyder system but it seems much more expensive and I wonder if it would work any better with the laptop's monitor. The Huey works well with my 19" monitor.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2008, 4:43 PM   #20

Very nice. # 4 looks like a Turtle.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote