Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 1, 2008, 12:39 PM   #11

You guys are great!

Here I was feeling all bummed out and when I got home this afternoon I get all these nice comments from my support group.:G You guys have really cheered me up, thanks
Patty, you are so sweet. Tell Alex I know just how he feels!aranoid:
Scott, you might have something there, maybe a felt lining would help?
Hey Dawg, you mean… I'm not supposed to do that?:shock:
Thanks everybody, you made my day!
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2008, 3:04 PM   #12

I am sorry to hear this, I know how you feel. When I first got my K10D it would not focus properly some of the time and as time went by it got worse. So after three months I sent it back and Pentax sent me a new camera which focused perfectly----for a while.

Then this camera started to FF and BF at times and finally did this most of the time. I stopped using the K10D and started using my DS all the time since it always worked perfectly. I finally sent the K10D in and got it adjusted by Pentax, but then when it FF the next time, I sold it for a loss since I no longer had faith in the camera.

I now have a third K10D from a much later batch that focuses perfectly, at least so far and I am happy with it and use the camera all the time.

Hopefully this will be what happens to you and the third body is the charm and you will be a happy camper once again.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2008, 4:28 PM   #13

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
I am sorry to hear this, I know how you feel. When I first got my K10D it would not focus properly some of the time and as time went by it got worse. So after three months I sent it back and Pentax sent me a new camera which focused perfectly----for a while.

Then this camera started to FF and BF at times and finally did this most of the time. I stopped using the K10D and started using my DS all the time since it always worked perfectly. I finally sent the K10D in and got it adjusted by Pentax, but then when it FF the next time, I sold it for a loss since I no longer had faith in the camera.

I now have a third K10D from a much later batch that focuses perfectly, at least so far and I am happy with it and use the camera all the time.

Hopefully this will be what happens to you and the third body is the charm and you will be a happy camper once again.

Tom
Thanks Tom,
I hope you're right my friend, I'm beginning to lose faith myself!:-)

Old Aug 1, 2008, 4:57 PM   #14

I wonder if the replacement you are sending back nowwas a factory reconditioned unit. I used to work for a company that made tape recorders. Lots of units wouldhaveproblems, get fixed and be perfectfrom then on. Then there would be one unit in the production cycle that would cause problems all the way through. It would finally pass QC and go out, only to be returned because something else decided to break on it. Let's hope that the third time is the charm for you!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2008, 7:45 PM   #15

John

As you are aware, I can relate. I really hope you have better luck this time around.

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2008, 7:50 PM   #16

Think of what it must be like to be an astronaut on the launch pad and sitting on top of hundreds and hundreds of parts, each one made by the low bidder. There is a lot of cost-cutting on low end models, but this especially is discouraging to hear about a top of the line product. Providing refurbished units as replacements for defective ones is common practice with manufacturers of all sorts of products, as it cuts down on customer wait time. If products were 100% reliable, they wouldn't have any refurbs available and would have time to repair the returned unit quickly. Sometimes you see flocks of refurbished p&s units of a particular model for sale on ebay, and it rightly discourages you from buying that model, as it obviously has reliability problems. If you have a model that was performing perfectly for a while and wasn't DOB (Dead Out of the Box), it might be worth specifying a repair and waiting for it. On the other hand, if DOB, you should demand a NEW replacement, because you might only be getting someone else's problems with a refurb. Whenever you get a camera - new or replaced - you should check to see if it has the latest firmware installed - sometimes an update is all it takes to eliminate a "bug" in the operation.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2008, 8:39 PM   #17

Check the serial number of the bodies you are getting to make sure you are getting a newer version each time instead of one from the same batch. That is what happened with my K10D, both the first and second were very close serial number wise, while my present one is a much newer model.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2008, 4:56 PM   #18

You're right guys,
Harriet, it was a refurbished unit. At first I didn't like that idea but, then I realized that if they fixed mine and sent it back it too would be a refurbished one. Penolta and tom, I didn't think about checking firmware version or the serial numbers. Could very well be I got an older one in return. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for that in the future. Thanks guys!
GW

Old Aug 2, 2008, 5:11 PM   #19

Black Knight wrote:
Quote:
John

As you are aware, I can relate. I really hope you have better luck this time around.

Phil
Hey Phil,
I see in another thread, you got your new camera. Congrats!
Looks like you made a good choice.
GW

Old Aug 3, 2008, 1:54 AM   #20

Refrain from using it as a home made hatchet and it will last longer! Just a suggestion......

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote