Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 2, 2008, 6:01 PM   #11

Hi Phil,

Any indication from Pentax as to the cause of the spotting on the sensor?

Anyway -- Congrats on the new cam, and sorry to hear about the demise of the K100. Reports have been good from what I've seen, so I think you'll be pleased with the new body.

While on the subject of clean sensors, I've been surprised by how much I like the Dust Alert feature on my K20, which I believe the K200 shares. It seemed to be such a gimmick, but it's REALLY useful. The only thing that they don't tell you is that it's best to do it with the cam pointed at a featureless subject, or else a clean sensor will look like you just changed lenses in a used vacuum cleaner bag.:-)

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2008, 10:54 PM   #12

Phil,

These are very nice. It looks like you are going to be one happy camper. Looking forward to more.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2008, 12:19 AM   #13

Lovely water shots, sad to lose your old k100, but now a fantastic k200D
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2008, 1:09 AM   #14

Nothing like a new camera to take the frown of your face when you hear bad news like the demise of your K100. This one looks very nice.

I'm another one who finds the dust alert very useful, and will check the sensor whenever I'm going to be taking important or one-time-only types of pictures. I find that actually more useful than I do the dust removal shake.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2008, 1:50 AM   #15

Nice shots. Every cloud has a silver lining. Since the K200 has the guts of the K10D plus some other new features, it should be a significant step up from the K100 for you, as excellent a camera as the K100 was. Good move - even though it was twice the cost of the repair, it was probably the right decision (now you can get better pictures of your new water well! :roll.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2008, 9:21 AM   #16

Everyone

Thanks. I am really enjoying the K200d. I Wish My K100D had not had this problem but!!!
All Is not lost. I have given It To My Son with The kit lense and While it can not Be Used for serious Photography. It Can be used as a Learning Tool. This way He can decide If He enjoys Photography as much as i Do. If He does enjoy It, then I have to make Some decisions.

Scott: No Pentax did not mention anything other than It was defective. However After Speaking With Some friends, I am going To pursue this a Little further With Pentax.
One of my friends who Is a Nikon Shooter and i were talking. He mentioned that my Symptions were Exactly like those Of the cameras that had the Sony Sensor recalled. I May Get no where with that but its worth a Shot.

Also you and Harriet both Mentioned the Dust Alert Feature. After reading The Owners Manuel I have no Idea how that Works. Is it automatic or do you Purposely have to take a Shot of Lets say the Sky for it to Work??

Penola: I bought The camera Slightly Used with about 100 Pictures on the Clock. The person that Bought it just could not see themselves carrying around All the Gear so sold it To Me for $500.
I Just Could not see spending 300 more To Fix it.

Dennis: Thanks, but as i said above It will Be a learning Tool For my Son. I Still Use my DS and had it Had SR, i would never have replaced it. I Truely enjoyed that camera( Just Like My ME).

Again thanks everyone

Phil

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2008, 9:45 AM   #17

Sorry for your run of bad luck lately Phil. The k200d should fit the bill nicely by the looks of these photos. Very nice. ....cheers....Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2008, 1:39 PM   #18

Dust alert - go into the menu and select dust alert. Point the camera at a featureless subject, such as the sky or a blank wall. Push the shutter (the camera will set the apperture and shutter speedit wants, take a picture then convert the image to show just the dust on the sensor. You have to have an FA or later lens on the camera (you can't select it if you have an A or M lens on). Don'tworry about super long shutter speeds and camera shake. When it finishes (it takes a while for it to do whatever it does), you'll have an image of a white rectangle - if there's any dust you'll see the spots in black. It also puts a graphic of the camera opening showing the red dot and the lens mount so you have some orientation.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 9:57 PM   #19

Harriot

Thanks for the Explanation. I don't know about The K20 Manuel. But the K200 Manuel Is very Cryptic or I need new reading glass's

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2008, 11:43 PM   #20

All of the Pentax manuals are cryptic to me. I usually have to read them a couple of times to figure it all out, and I never did figure out the flash manual. Usually I'll read what the manual says, then play with the camera a bit with the manual open to the particular page. It still usually takes me some trial and error/making mistakes that they didn't exactly explain before it all sinks in. The K20's manual has many pages that are exactly the same as the K100's manual, it's not any different.