Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 3, 2008, 11:29 PM   #11

GW - I'm not sure that's a memory I would want to have resurface - if it were me, I'd want to forget it.

Thanks everyone, for the compliments. The first one has way too much camera shake, but I wanted to include it because of the second picture. I actually have better picture that shows a different whirly thing taken at a long shutter speed, but no matching faster shutter speed shot.

And shooting things like this really is fun, with really rewarding results sometimes.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2008, 12:40 AM   #12

I like the tent as well. It grabs my attention. The blur motion shots came out pretty good in spite of no tripod. There is one idea I heard from, I think, Herbert Keppler, long ago while still shooting film. Take a bean bag with you. It can sit just about anywhere and be formed to give you a lot of different angles. Its obviously not as good, but in a lot of situations where it may be too difficult to carry a tripod, the bean bag might bea simple, cheap and light weightsolution.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2008, 2:22 AM   #13

Hope you didn't eat to much fairy floss.
I like the last two shots , colour and light, brilliant.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2008, 8:23 AM   #14

I really like the motion shots, Harriet. Number 5 with all three in motion is very cool.

Dennis
Driver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2008, 11:42 AM   #15

Really like these shots Harriet.

Favs are 3 and 4 .

The slow-ish shutter speed worked real well.

As for the tripod, I searched high and low for one I wouldn't mind carrying (I already have a Benbo Trekker) found one and have used it twice in the last year.

My advice would be to buy a carbon fibre model - mine is ali and still quite weighty and bulky for all day carrying.

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2008, 3:41 PM   #16

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
snip"

p.s. John - sorry to hear about your little fiasco. Hmmm, sounds like you have been like Alex for many years! :blah:
Patty... you don't know the half of it!
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2008, 3:50 PM   #17

Hey Harriet,
I got so busy telling my little story, I forgot to commit on your pics. I really like the motion shots but, the tent has some potential. All it needs is the silhouette of a circus worker or two on the wall. Would make it really interesting.:idea: ?

GW:-)

Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2008, 4:02 PM   #18

Someone over on the tripod part of the bulletin board posted a link to an article about buying tripods. It's title is something like "How to spend $1000 instead of $1700 on a tripod". The point was don't bother with the inexpensive, flimsy tripods because you'll end up replacing them sooner rather than later. So I've already pretty much decided to skip anything but carbon fiber - just need to figure out weight and size. Like everything in photography, I'll have to make compromises. It's just figuring out the best compromise for my personal needs.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2008, 12:10 AM   #19

Harriet,

Have you considered a Trekpod?

I picked one up this year. I haven't had much chance to use it yet, but it may suit your needs. It's basically a monopod with a swivel, magnetic attachment. But the cool thing about it is that it can be opened up into a tripod if needed. The build on the tripod is pretty lightweight, and closes up with just a piece of Velcro, lending me to think that it's durability may not be that great, but in a pinch it seems like it might be just the thing.

Jon

Here's a link:

http://www.trek-tech.com/products/trekpods.html

I got the Trekpod Go!

PinonMesaJon is offline   Reply With Quote