Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 3, 2008, 11:57 PM   #1

I need help with this problem. Each time I turn the camera on (K10D) it starts a new folder on my SD card. Why is this and how can I turn the feature off??

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2008, 12:23 AM   #2

Tom, I'm not sure why your's is doing it, but my DL does the same thing, but not consistently. Does anyone know why or as Tom asked, how to control it?

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2008, 3:56 AM   #3

I thought it was customizable, so I went through my K20D manual. Didn't find anything more than that it creates a new folder when there are 500 pictures in one. Mine creates a new folder every day, not everytime I put the thing on.

Went through all the menus looking for something unmentioned in the manual. Nope.

Sounds like firmware error, maybe a reinstall would fix it. Seems like you and K10D weren'tment for each other, Tom.:-?

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2008, 4:06 AM   #4

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
I need help with this problem. Each time I turn the camera on (K10D) it starts a new folder on my SD card. Why is this and how can I turn the feature off??

Tom
Hi Tom,

Look in the set-up menu, on the K100D ... folder name can be set to Standard or Date, with the latter it sets a new folder for each date the camera is used. Hope this helps ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2008, 2:17 PM   #5

Jack is correct. It is the same with the K10D. If you take batches of pictures, it is much more manageable, as you don't have to search through long lists of cryptic numbers to locate an image, if you have an idea when you took it. This is most useful when you are reading the card on the computer - the folder structure is ignored when scanning directly on the camera LCD.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2008, 3:52 PM   #6

What Jay said (he beat me to it). It's the same way on the K20.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2008, 6:23 PM   #7

OK I switched it so I will see how it goes. I prefer all the files to be visable at once instead of having to deal with multiple folders.

Thanks
Tom
Old Aug 4, 2008, 7:03 PM   #8

I agree with you, Tom. The other thing I learned with the K10 was not to delete pictures in the camera - for some reason that would mess up the numbering and I ended up accidentally deleting some pictures because I didn't realize that the camera had repeated a couple of numbers. I got it back on track by changing to date numbering system, powering down the camera then turning it back on and changing back to the normal system. That seemed to get the camera back on track with the numbers.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2008, 5:09 AM   #9

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
OK I switched it so I will see how it goes. I prefer all the files to be visable at once instead of having to deal with multiple folders.

Thanks
Tom
Personal taste ... I like the date system, when I move shots to the PC I add a name following the datefor whatever venue they were appropriate to ... this helps me keep track of the picture files, and where they came from. ... Jack.
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2008, 10:48 AM   #10

Well I find it frustrating to have twenty folders on my card and have to go through all of them one at a time to see what is in them. Since the date is already on the EXIF data I can always find that if I need it.

Now if I was doing a job on multiple days, then I can see where the date filder would be useful to me, but for me the single folder works most of the time.

Tom