Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 4, 2008, 10:20 AM   #1

I've joked many times this summer about my "white whales," a pair of pileated woodpeckers living at the fringes of my woods. I have seen them numerous times, but never been able to get close enough to photograph them. This morning, I was having a cup of coffee on my porch when a black streak flashed across the yard, coming to rest in a tall pine just past the front edge of the woods. (uncropped....Bigma on K20)

I added the 1.4X teleconverter to try to get a closer look...(100% crop to vertical)

Finally, a cropped and edited version. This was taken without the converter. Generally the focus without the converter was sharper. I attribute this to the difficulty to keep the camera rock steady on the monopod.

I tried to sneak closer, but he caught the movement, and the photo session was over.

I'm lousy at estimating distances, but the tree on which the woodpecker was sitting is at least 30-40 feet from my driveway, and the distance from the porch to the driveway is at least another 40 feet. Add the vertical distance (25 feet or so), and it's obvious I would not have gotten this shot without the Bigma. I'm going to LOVE this lens.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2008, 3:56 PM   #2

well Paul... I guess you know I'm sitting here turnning green, right?
GW:G
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2008, 8:59 AM   #3

Congrats on a fine shot.Without the Bigma's range I would have missed most of my bird photos Paul. For me "The Lazy Fat Man" it is a true blessing. Those Woodies are still on my hit list. You got him good my friend. Congrats on the lens and a fine photo.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2008, 1:01 PM   #4

Hi Paul,

Great captures! The Pileated WP is one of the gold standards in birding as far as I'm concerned. They are very shy, and are very rare in my neck of the woods, so I've never even seen one, though I've heard a few reports of sightings. This one appears to be a female.

Good going! I'm definitely jealous. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 3:41 PM   #5

Nice captures, Paul. Looks like you are coming to grips with the Bigma.The Bigma is hard to hand hold. Those are beautiful woodpeckers.

There a some around here but I rarely see them. They definitely make a different sound on a tree.

Dennis
Driver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2008, 12:55 AM   #6

Good work, Paul. I can imagine you will be having a lot of fun with that new toy! I don't remember anyone trying it out for sports.Being a coach and all,it might be interesting to see how it performs at one of your soccer games. Seems like it would be difficult, but perhaps with a tripod aimed at the goalie, from somewhere in the next county, it might work! At any rate, have a great time with it!

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2008, 7:15 AM   #7

Lyrics51 wrote:
Quote:
Good work, Paul. I can imagine you will be having a lot of fun with that new toy! I don't remember anyone trying it out for sports.Being a coach and all,it might be interesting to see how it performs at one of your soccer games. Seems like it would be difficult, but perhaps with a tripod aimed at the goalie, from somewhere in the next county, it might work!
It could have potential for daytime sports, but there's no way it's fast enough to use under the lights. I have thought about taking it out and trying it when daytime youth soccer kicks off in the fall. I'll share when I do.

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I'm definitely having fun playing.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2008, 12:37 PM   #8

Glad to see the new lens is working well Paul. Nicely done!!..cheers..Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote