Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 5, 2008, 6:36 PM   #1

Help!
Can anyone help me identify this vine? It is extremely voracious! It was taking over the back yard when I bought my home in 2006. I have tried and tried to kill it without any luck. I have tried to find info on the web regarding this but, can't find anything. Anybody know what it is and how to get rid of it?
THA,
GW

Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2008, 8:08 PM   #2

GW it is a type of Morning Glory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morning_glory

They are everywhere!

Dennis
Driver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2008, 8:25 PM   #3

Hey Dennis, Thanks for the reply:!:

That was what I thought at first but, the more I checked the more I thought I was wrong. I haven't found any other example on line that shows the same flower, color or shape.:-? If it is a morning glory, is there a way to eliminate it? I have seen this thing grow 3 feet overnight!:shock:
GW
Old Aug 6, 2008, 4:51 AM   #4

GW, I wouls physically cut it back as far as possibly then round up theheck out of it!

Dennis
Driver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 5:18 PM   #5

Thanks Dennis,
I'm not sure if this beast originated in my yard or the neighbor to the rear of me. When I first moved in two years ago, it had taken over an area approximately 75ft wide and 15ft deep. The neighbor had a similar area and the rear property was two to three times as bad and was growing twenty ft up into a dead tree. I cut it all back to the fence and as far as I could reach over the 3ft chain link fence in back. Then I took a machete and cut all the roots and main stems growing on my property. Then I dumped a gallon of round up concentrate all over the area. At first I thought it was going to work, most everything that was left on the rear property turned brown and wilted. About a month later it was all back and encroaching on my side again! I have been keeping it at bay for the past year and a half. The funny thing is, yesterday when I went outside to get a better look at the flower to see if I could make a positive ID online, it was all gone! All four properties that were affected were bare! The property (this was a rental home) must have paid someone to clear it all out. Now all I need to do is keep it that way.
GW