Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 6, 2008, 10:57 AM   #1

i've been doing a lot of printing lately and found another use for my SELVYT jewelers cloths. not only are they good for your lens glass and superb on the metal lens barrels they also will polish out fingerprints and small defects in an inkjet print..
i've also discovered there's a lot more to printing and mounting than i thought.

still learning,
roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2008, 1:22 PM   #2

Necessity is the mother of invention!
Thanks for sharing Roy
GW
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 3:27 PM   #3

Roy, are these different from the micro-fiber lens cloths? While my wife does a lot of 4x6 and 5x7 printing for her scrapbooking, I have had all my prints for framing done by Adorama. Are you finding an advantage in quality or price by doing it yourself?

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 5:20 PM   #4

gw, it's great when you discover something by accident..

tim, i'm not sure but these cloths are great items for us to use. you will not believe at what they do to the older lenses.. i found out by accident and ordered 2 more for my use. be sure to get the one that's spelt the same as i posted. there are knockoffs. get the 14x14''..

i really haven't used a lab but i think they're probably less expensive than the larger/wider inkjets. difference is I know what i'm getting and can change it in the blink of an eye.. i haven't priced a print from a lab that does everthing thing i'm doing. here's basically what my expenses are for a 13x19'' print. there's no comparing a 13x19 to a 8.5x11

paper= canon glossypro plus2= $2, but i just got them on sale for 75% off= 50¢
canon ink = $2 but i'm refilling ink at $47 for 8 refills compared to canon ink at $800, yeah!!! $800(what a deal)
foam board backing= on sale at $1
18x24'' single matte board = $2 but all your waste can be used for smaller prints
tape/spray adhesive = not more than 50¢
18x24'' clear plastic photo sleeve = 48¢

so total = about $8 without the savings i quoted. i do know from looking if you get the lab to mount,matte, and sleeve them it can run upwards of $20 so i save a bundle cutting the mattes myself. . redriver paper has a sale right now on one of their lessor papers(13x19) at buy one/get one at $32delivered for 100 sheets . it's actually cheaper for me to have them ship it than it is for me to drive out there.. about 2 1/2 - 3 gallons of gas..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote