Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 8, 2008, 9:33 AM   #11

"sex&drugs&rock'nroll", now that is something I have not thought about at the same time for quite a while!

The camera addiction may be expensive, but it is great therapy and it keeps you out of trouble.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 10:39 AM   #12

Lyrics51 wrote:
Quote:
"Hi, my name is K man."
"Hi, K man."
"I'm a camera addict"
Scanning thefaces of thoseseated in the smallishbasementof theFirst Methodist church, K man watches as the heads of Mtngal, Monza, Driver, Dawg, Nhmom, Rodney, BB2, ennacac, Goldwinger, nonentity, and dtchongnod slowly. Each personshowing the unmistakable signs of their addiction. Thesloping left shoulderbrought low from the weight ofcamerabags loaded with lenses and gadgets, some of which have never even seen the light of day.The callouses on the back of theneck and the right index fingercrooked and uncontrollable as it waits for the perverse thrill of the little silver button.
Too funny Lyrics!!

Yeah, it is an obsession, but as a friend of mine overseas says, it's a good obsession. He's as bad as me. Lol. Thanks everyone. Good to know I'm not the only dingbat out there. Wink wink....cheers...Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 10:43 AM   #13

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
thekman620 wrot
Quote:
Well, it's your money and you could easily have spent the same amount on sex&drugs&rock'nroll. Maybe would have been just as fun for you, but we would have missed these marvellous pictures. The yawning squirrel is priceless! Thanks for choosing this addiction!

Kjell
You're right Kjell about blowing it on other "things". Sex, drugs, r&r....haven't heard that one in a while! Ahh, for the 70's and 80's again!....cheers..Don
Old Aug 8, 2008, 10:45 AM   #14

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
"sex&drugs&rock'nroll", now that is something I have not thought about at the same time for quite a while!

The camera addiction may be expensive, but it is great therapy and it keeps you out of trouble.

Tom
So right Tom. It is great therapy. I go out there shooting looking for wildlife, and I forget about everything else. 2 or 3 hours of peace in a seemingly mad and going madder world.........cheers...Don
Old Aug 8, 2008, 10:52 AM   #15

Rodney9 wrote:
Quote:
Terrific shots, the detail in the Squirrel shot is amazing , how close were you and what focal length ?

I'm thinking of replacing my Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG APO with the Pentax 55-300 as what I have heard it's very good even at 300mm, where the Sigma is quite poor.
Thanks Rodney. I was very close...about 6 - 7 feet I guess. Here's the exif

Model : PENTAX K20D
Software : Adobe Photoshop CS2 Windows
ExposureTime : 1/500Sec
FNumber : F4.5
ExposureProgram : Shutter Priority
ISOSpeedRatings : 1250
ApertureValue : F4.5
ExposureBiasValue : EV0.7
MeteringMode : Division
Flash : Not fired(Compulsory)
FocalLength : 135.00(mm)

I really couldn't answer you as to whether the 55-300 is sharper than the Sigma. I would bet the lens coatings on the Pentax are superior, but as far as resolving detail, I don't know. I shoot some very high contrast scenes, and the 55-300 doesn't seem to have excessinve ca's. There are some, but they're easily reduced in ps. Hope this helps...cheers..Don

Old Aug 8, 2008, 11:19 AM   #16

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
You just think your a hopeless camera junkie? I KNOW I am (having owned a DS, K10, both sold, and still have a K100 and a K20). I love the K20 - so glad I bought it because it just suits my style/tastes better than the K10 did. Glad to hearthat it measures up the the Canons. Not thatit makes much difference to me -it is what it is, and I like it. Enough said as far as I'm concerned. Just hope that Pentax doesn't come out with something else any time soon, though...

You are right about the detail being there - I find I'm more willing to do significant cropping, since the pictures are so sharp (depending on the lens) at 100%. Can't wait to see your DA*300 pictures!
Thanks Harriet. Yes, the detail is there in RAW. I'm just not sure if it's the lens that's soft, or if the default RAW settings for this sensor are extremely soft, - which is fine by me. At first I saw some of the unprocessed results and wasn't too pleased until I started USM'ing, and voila! The detail emerged. Amazing what RAW captures, and what can be done in pp'ing.

Yeah, if Pentax comes out with another higher spec'd camera, I'm screwed. Lol. I think the only drawback of the k20d is the fps, but that is in no way a deal breaker. When I had the Mark III, it was rarely able to fire at better than about 6 or 7 fps as the settings I had to use in our darker climate prohibited the camera from 10fps unless in bright light. Seems the k20d shoots 3fps no matter what as long as the shutter speed is at a semi decent rate. Also found the Mark III at high fps shooting wildlife has lots of misses-more like my misses as using the centre af point is quite small shooting birds. Very sensitive AF in that camera and very unforgiving if you miss. I tried expanded points they offer in the setup, but always ended back at the centre AF. But one cannot compare that beast to the k20d. Not fair to the k20d. For IQ , I'd have to say they're close from what I've been seeing, but performance wise, the Mark blows it away. BUT it's $4500 vs $900 - $1000. When you look at this way, I'd say the k20d performs admirably and is one heck of of a deal! Plus, it doesn't weigh 3lbs before glass is added. I got downright tired carrying the Mark around for up to 3 or 4 hours sometimes. And having an onset of arthritis in the hands knees and feet, the less weight I have to carry, the better.

I could ramble for hours on this, being the addict I am :?, so had best shut up for now...cheers..........Don
Old Aug 8, 2008, 2:17 PM   #17

Awesome squirrel shots.

Dal

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 7:07 PM   #18

Hi Don,

Some great work here! Congrats on the K20 (and the coming DA*300).

LBA covers bodies too, the way I see it, and since the only cure that's been offered is to buy a new lens -- ordering the DA*300 was your first step to recovery. . . well, that is, until the next time. . . :blah::-):-)

The squrrel yawn is a priceless capture.

However good your zoom is, I think you'll find the DA*300 a very impressive upgrade, and I believe you'll really appreciate the K20's resolution when you start to use it. I got to play with one, and was very impressed, but passed because I have an FA*300/4.5, and ended up putting the $$$
(and a bit more!) towards the Sig 300/2.8 -- the right move for me at this time.

Your comment to Harriet about what PP can do for the image also holds for jpegs from the camera. One of the strengths of the K20's images for me is that PP can really bring out details that you don't even think are there when first looking at the image -- I look forward to seeing your efforts with the DA*.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2008, 10:30 AM   #19

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi Don,

Some great work here! Congrats on the K20 (and the coming DA*300).

LBA covers bodies too, the way I see it, and since the only cure that's been offered is to buy a new lens -- ordering the DA*300 was your first step to recovery. . . well, that is, until the next time. . . :blah::-):-)

The squrrel yawn is a priceless capture.

However good your zoom is, I think you'll find the DA*300 a very impressive upgrade, and I believe you'll really appreciate the K20's resolution when you start to use it. I got to play with one, and was very impressed, but passed because I have an FA*300/4.5, and ended up putting the $$$
(and a bit more!) towards the Sig 300/2.8 -- the right move for me at this time.

Your comment to Harriet about what PP can do for the image also holds for jpegs from the camera. One of the strengths of the K20's images for me is that PP can really bring out details that you don't even think are there when first looking at the image -- I look forward to seeing your efforts with the DA*.

Scott
Thanks Scott. That squirrel was a hoot. He was looking for food.

I used to have the FA*300/4.5 when I had pentax before, and it was a very fine lens. The one I had was pretty old and a little beat up, but it worked very well. I'd be surprised if there was much IQ difference between the new f/4 and the old one. Maybe better coatings for the newer version, but I never had too much in the way of ca's with the older version. Only when shooting up at birds against white skies with high contrast. The DA* should be a great match for the k20d.

When you get the 2.8 Siggy, it'll be an awesome lens. Too heavy for me to wield, but IQ is outstanding I understand. Good luck and looking forward to seeing some shots with it....cheers...Don
Old Aug 9, 2008, 10:31 AM   #20

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
Awesome squirrel shots.

Dal
Thanks Dal!