Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 7, 2008, 10:56 AM   #1

I think I'm a hopeless camera junkie. :? I said to myself after buying a k100d, that I wouldn't be tempted for loftier heights. Fat chance. Found a good deal on line for the k20d, and said to heck with it, and bought it. Great camera. Having used a Canon 30d (and a Mark III after that), I gotta say the Pentax really has the feature set over the 30d. Maybe not the Mark III, but that beast is a whole other ballgame. The k20's CMOS sensor is very good at higher ISO's I'm finding. Now seeing as my brain is really out of gear, I decided to jump at the DA*300 as our dollar up here is dwindling again, and is expected to drop further. Should be receiving DA* gem next week. Should be fun chasing around the birdies with this combo, even if I am going broke....god, I'm hopeless....

These are from last week with the k20d and the 55-300. Took these on a rather dull day. Shot in dng RAW, and processed in CS2. I find the detail is there shooting RAW, but you really have to usm the files to get it out. ....cheers....Don

Young Wood Duck

Heron eye. Had to shoot between 2 fence posts and cropped them out to come up with this

This little guy scampered up this old post looking for a handout..

I think he was a little tired, as he gave me a big yawn..cute..

thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2008, 11:07 AM   #2

Just great Don, now I will have to get one too!

I will stick with the K10D for a bit though since I just got it.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2008, 11:17 AM   #3

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
Just great Don, now I will have to get one too!

I will stick with the K10D for a bit though since I just got it.

Tom
Sorry Tom. I didn't mean to entice you or anyone else like that!:homey: ....cheers...Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2008, 4:52 PM   #4

You're a very bad boy Don.
For your punishment you will have to mail me your 55-300 immediately and promise not to make any further purchases for at least 30 days!:lol:

Seriously though, those are some fantastic shots!

the squirrel really cracked me up.:G
GW
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2008, 10:55 PM   #5

You just think your a hopeless camera junkie? I KNOW I am (having owned a DS, K10, both sold, and still have a K100 and a K20). I love the K20 - so glad I bought it because it just suits my style/tastes better than the K10 did. Glad to hearthat it measures up the the Canons. Not thatit makes much difference to me -it is what it is, and I like it. Enough said as far as I'm concerned. Just hope that Pentax doesn't come out with something else any time soon, though...

You are right about the detail being there - I find I'm more willing to do significant cropping, since the pictures are so sharp (depending on the lens) at 100%. Can't wait to see your DA*300 pictures!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2008, 11:30 PM   #6

Great set of photos, thanks

bb2
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2008, 11:33 PM   #7

Terrific shots, the detail in the Squirrel shot is amazing , how close were you and what focal length ?

I'm thinking of replacing my Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG APO with the Pentax 55-300 as what I have heard it's very good even at 300mm, where the Sigma is quite poor.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2008, 11:54 PM   #8

"Hi, my name is K man."
"Hi, K man."
"I'm a camera addict"
Scanning thefaces of thoseseated in the smallishbasementof theFirst Methodist church, K man watches as the heads of Mtngal, Monza, Driver, Dawg, Nhmom, Rodney, BB2, ennacac, Goldwinger, nonentity, and dtchongnod slowly. Each personshowing the unmistakable signs of their addiction. Thesloping left shoulderbrought low from the weight ofcamerabags loaded with lenses and gadgets, some of which have never even seen the light of day.The callouses on the back of theneck and the right index fingercrooked and uncontrollable as it waits for the perverse thrill of the little silver button.
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 2:28 AM   #9

thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
I think I'm a hopeless camera junkie. :? I said to myself after buying a k100d, that I wouldn't be tempted for loftier heights. Fat chance. Found a good deal on line for the k20d, and said to heck with it, and bought it.
Well, it's your money and you could easily have spent the same amount on sex&drugs&rock'nroll. Maybe would have been just as fun for you, but we would have missed these marvellous pictures. The yawning squirrel is priceless! Thanks for choosing this addiction!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 6:02 AM   #10

Congratulations on the new camera Don. With results like Mr. Sleepy Squirrel it certainly looks worth it.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote