Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 8, 2008, 11:28 PM   #1

i was exchanging a camera bag at circuit city today and while browsing around saw that the pantone huey was marked down on clearance to $24. it's not listed on their website anymore so this may be a store wide clearance item. ymmv, but i hope some of you can take advantage of this excellent deal.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2008, 10:39 AM   #2

Thanks for the tip Ishino. My wife just informed me that we are going shopping, now I at least have something to look for, for myself.

Tim

No luck at our local Circuit City, they had never heard of a panatone huey. But for $159, they would be happy to color balance my monitor!
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2008, 6:04 PM   #3

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the tip Ishino. My wife just informed me that we are going shopping, now I at least have something to look for, for myself.

Tim

No luck at our local Circuit City, they had never heard of a panatone huey. But for $159, they would be happy to color balance my monitor!
Yeah Tim, there idea of color balancing a monitor is to put the monitor on one side of the scale and a can of paint on the other!:lol:

Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2008, 12:00 PM   #4

Goldwinger wrote:
Quote:
NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:

Tim

Yeah Tim, there idea of color balancing a monitor is to put the monitor on one side of the scale and a can of paint on the other!:lol:
on one of the other forums i bought a spyder 1 for 35usd. it only does CRTs but that my PP screen.. i can REALLY see the difference.. both printers deliver almost 100% what i see on the monitor..
black knight, uses a huey and reports it works great also.
were they going to come to the house to balance it??

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2008, 1:44 PM   #5

robar wrote:
Quote:
on one of the other forums i bought a spyder 1 for 35usd. it only does CRTs but that my PP screen.. i can REALLY see the difference.. both printers deliver almost 100% what i see on the monitor..
black knight, uses a huey and reports it works great also.
were they going to come to the house to balance it??

roy
Roy, I don't know if that was a service call or me bringing the computer and monitor to them. I think the clerk did mention their service uses Spyder, which I was not familiar with at the time. I wasn't interested, the only DIY area I excel in is computers and I sure ain't paying someone else to work on mine :-).

I don't do my own prints. My wife does small ones for her scrapbooking but I don't think she is too finicky. My monitor is a Dell 2405 LCD and it seems to match pretty closely to the prints I get back from Adorama, so I guess it is not too necessary. If I spot a color calibrator as cheap as Ishino found his, though, I am sure I will pick on up.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2008, 2:02 PM   #6

Having them color calibrate for you just isn't a good idea anyways. As your monitor ages the color response changes that is why at least with my Pantone Huey it from time to time asks me to recalibrate.

I just got a ColorMunki Photo that I can't wait to get in to as it does both monitor and printer. Plus you can use it to sample any color from the real world and make it digital kind of like the paint color matching at the hardware stores.

Now if I could just get the time to install it and use it.

Robert
Robert Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2008, 5:38 PM   #7

I have a Huey, and it works reasonably well for my big monitor. It doesn't do well for my laptop's monitor, though - makes it too green. I've been thinking of switching to the spyder, but can't quite justify the extra expense. If I'm traveling I try not to adjust white balance on pictures until I get home.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2008, 10:48 AM   #8

Robert Barnett wrote:
Quote:
Having them color calibrate for you just isn't a good idea anyways. As your monitor ages the color response changes that is why at least with my Pantone Huey it from time to time asks me to recalibrate.

I just got a ColorMunki Photo that I can't wait to get in to .Robert
if they calibrated it in store then it would not be calibrated at home as ambient light makes a difference.. my spyder is one of the originals and only does CRTs but that's what i use with PS. the other is a dell flat panel where i put all the tool palettes and i could care less what it looks like.. 35usd is what mine cost 2nd hand. the munki looks like a great device.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2008, 11:25 AM   #9

I have the Pantone Huey with 1.03 update. It works very well for me as I use a CRT for my PP. I will be getting another CRT instead of an LCD monitor. The Pantone Huey continually updates (refreshes) the screen when light changes in the room you are in. Nice feature.

As for printing. I have two, one for B/W and the other for Color. I don't have then connected to my computer and will do my PP and transfer the files to a memory card. Plug it in to my printer and print it that way. I find no need in dealing with ICC profiles to get theprint I need and I don't shoot in Adobe RGB which has a wider color gamut. I shoot in SRGB and print the same way. In fact, if you do send your photos out to be printed it is done in SRGB anyway.

There are those that want as much control over their files as possible and leave the PP to print all in their hands, right down to swellable paper.

After much research into this my findings were that I needed more time to shoot than to go through all of that.

Oh, and I still don't shoot RAW. It is nice to have all of these choices and whatever works best for ones needs is all that matters.

Back to the subject. Get the Pantone Huey if you can. It comes at a great price in comparison and does help in getting you closer to printing WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get).

Mahalo,

Tom
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote